Replacing my case

Ludlow

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I posted earlier about the crack I have on my engine case. I tried using JB weld to temporarily seal it up for the summer, but that didn't work. After taking the top end apart to replace cam bearings, I decided to go ahead and replace the case. I bought a used '72 case off ebay for $100 and a set of gaskets and seals from Mikes. When the case showed up it appears to have some damage where the seal for the crank on the alternator side. The seller seems to be cooperative so far, but my big question is whether this is a big deal or not. It looks as if the lip seal fitting is busted and might not hold the seal or will probably leak.

I read about the case halves needing to match, so no mixing for me. Anybody ever fix this before or should I look into returning this case?

Thanks for any suggestions you guys can offer.

Attachments

• FxCam_1282516036831.jpg
    FxCam_1282516036831.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 128
  • FxCam_1282516001828.jpg
    FxCam_1282516001828.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 148
Where is the crack on your original cases, you could perhaps get it welded up?

Those cases look like toast to me! :cheers:

Yes, Ludlow... I'm no expert, but I have replaced a crank seal "in situ" and I can tell you unequivocally that that left case will not properly retain a crank seal. That lip is critical. :( Hard to see how someone could have sold you that in good faith. :( If it were me, I'd be asking specific questions about seal and bearing surfaces on any prospective replacement. Or... welding by a pro, as was suggested, if you're going to have it apart.

Last edited:
They could be welded & remachined, did something similar on my Triumph T120 but if Id just bought them, Id send them back

Thanks everybody,

I think you all made my case for me (sorry for the bad punn). The ebay seller is reputable and will work with me. He also had several other XS cases posted, so maybe we can work a deal. I'll let y'all know how it goes, I think this guy is a high volume ebayer and this one slipped through the cracks.

I'll send him a link to this thread and get to a solution. I'm just bummed about no quick swap. I hoped to be ridding before the weather turns. This delay will likely prevent it. I've got my health...

Thanks again!

A prince among thieves! The other guy, if he won't cover shipping both ways I'd bad feedback him eleven ways from Tuesday. I badmouth him on every forum in the United States. Tell him so if he's not agreeable. Maybe his sense of economy will take over where his character falls short.

Back