replacing points ignition and alternator replaced with late model electronic

gumby

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have busted 1980 engine that I pulled out and the only motor I could get to replace it was a 76/77 with the older points style. I need to know if I can swap what ever I need from my 80 engine over to the older (i.i the stator/alternator, and carb hoses) and get it going for the summer. This is my first xs as well as my first major repair I've done on a bike. If I don't get this thing working my wife will kill me (I begged to get it).

Everything from the '80 engine will swap over to the earlier engine. Alternater is different from the earlier one.

I have busted 1980 engine that I pulled out and the only motor I could get to replace it was a 76/77 with the older points style. I need to know if I can swap what ever I need from my 80 engine over to the older (i.i the stator/alternator, and carb hoses) and get it going for the summer. This is my first xs as well as my first major repair I've done on a bike. If I don't get this thing working my wife will kill me (I begged to get it).

Hi gumby,
what azman said. Remember you need to swap it all or it won't work. Rotor with trigger magnet, stator with Hall effect ignition pickups, twincoil (or upgrade to a hot aftermarket twincoil) and be sure it's wired right. Remove the points, advancer and advance rod. The '80 & later ignition don't need them. Carefully save them for your swap pile.
Be careful removing the stator, I found out the hard way that the casting is a lot frailer than it looks.
And relax, judging from my own experience, your wife will eventually forgive you.
I mean, at least you begged. If you want to sink really deep into the soft and brown, try bringing a bike home without a previous discussion.

Yes as the guys have said above.

That being said the carb boots and carbs have to to changed from the 80 to the 76/77 if you are using a stock air box system.

I would leave the advance rod in the cam and take off the weights from the advance unit, and the points, and have it set up so if by chance the electronic system broke down the points and weights can be put back on, hook up to the wiring loom and coils, and your away again. Better than waiting for a trailer and being stuck for hours on the side of the road

When you pull the 80 engine remove the stator and rotor. Put them on the 76-77 engine. Put the engine in the 80 bike.
On the carbs swap them from the 80 to the 76-77 engine. Carbs holders need to swap along with the carbs.
The engines except for a few minor things are identical.
Leo

Back