Replacing XS-2 Air Filter Element

Major Domo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read the thread where the paper air filter element on the XS-2 (and others) can been replaced with Uni Filter foam (3/8 inch thickness). My question is should it be the course or fine material? From some of the photos posted in that thread, it appears to be the fine material? Also, how easy is it to strip the paper element from the "cages"? Thanks in advance!

My :twocents: is that you want to use the fine. Either the fine black (BF4) or the green (BF1) cuz it's easier to tell when green needs cleaning.

I just bought some sheets of polyurethane foam and covered the filter frame with two wraps on several of my bikes so far. I have had no issues.

The ones I did were actually a couple of later model filters that had foam originally that had dry rotted away. I looked at my XS2 filters and I would put the foam right over the paper. I don’t think the framework inside those early filters was as “robust” as the later ones.

Just checked Uni Filter site, and it appears they now make (or have been making) a direct replacement filter for the XS-2, for the princely sum of $37.95 EACH, plus shipping-ouch! See link below. I'm going the bulk Uni filter route, and make the modification that Mailman (and others) have done.

I'm having a very hard time find UNI Filter sheet foam in 3/8" thickness-green or red in the FINE grade.The black is available, but red or green would be easier to see accumulated dirt, etc. Internet search for other brands is coming up empty. Is anyone using the 5/8" on any 650, especially the XS-2? Thanks in advance!

Back