XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I have two sets of filter boxes for my XS2. The new filters I bought do not fit. Anyone have this problem? Are the boxes different? Not sure what to do. I tried to bend the boxes but the filters are two thick.

Last edited:
Not sure what you got going on there. I've got what is supposed to be a NOS filter and it fits fine. When I bought it of off E-Bay I went by what that sell listed it fitting. I normally double check part numbers, I didn't because it looked correct. I have also bought them from Mikes. His also fit.
The filter measures around 61mm from edge of foam to edge of cover.
upload_2021-7-31_20-56-1.png

What does to opening of the airbox measure?
Should be around 61mm.

Just checked the filter cases. The 70/71 are a different part number but the filter has two numbers, 256 and the 306. I must have the wrong cases. I might be able to make them fit.

For what it's worth Partzilla says they are the same from 70 to 73. What do your case and air cleaner measure?
upload_2021-7-31_21-15-26.png

My filter box is about 62mm opening. My filters are 65mm without measuring the foam. I have two sets of bad filters. Those guys are not cheap. Had a hard time holding the mic and taking a picture.
image.jpg

Looks like wrong filters. I have several sets of early boxes and they all have around 62mm openings.

Mikes shows different filters for the 70/71 and the 72/73. There is also a big price difference. The 70/71 are a lot cheaper.

The 256 fits the 70/71 and the 306 fits the 72/73 according to
Xs650direct.com. I am going to have to look up where I bought them.

Interesting. Would be good if somebody with a 70-71 would measure their air boxes. @gggGary . Learned something today, I thought all the early's used the same same box.

Very well could be when Yamaha changed the the boxes for 72 they superseded the new number because it would fit the frame of the earlier model. Just have to have the right filter for it. Ran into things like that in the 70s with cars from Detroit.

Very well could be when Yamaha changed the the boxes for 72 they superseded the new number because it would fit the frame of the earlier model. Just have to have the right filter for it. Ran into things like that in the 70s with cars from Detroit.
72 was first year of the larger battery box for the electric start. Stands to reason that the filter boxes would be slightly smaller than XS1's... even if they look identical.

Could be because of the limited production of the GS750 (200) and the larger displacement ( 750 vs 650 ) they used leftover early boxes.
Really need someone with another GS to chime in.

72 was first year of the larger battery box for the electric start. Stands to reason that the filter boxes would be slightly smaller than XS1's... even if they look identical.
I'm coming to this thread a bit late, but yes, as you all have figured out, 72-73 air boxes and filters are thinner than 70-71, and the location of the mounting ears on the air boxes is different because they are attaching to a different battery box.

Back