Sump filter.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody know how many microns the standard sump filter is rated. Thinking of doing away with the stock filter and replacing with something a little better. However, I have a remote spin on filter fitted, around 35-40 microns which I'm sure is a lot finer than a stock strainer. so I don't want to overstretch the pumps abilitity to circulate oil.

Last edited:
"Sump "filter" is a pick up screen, enough to keep big chunks out of the oil pump, fine filtration on the pressure side of the pump where it should be.
A "better" sump filter design always a welcome exercise!
:popcorn:

No such thing as a 150 micron filter that could be adapted. XS650.com advertise an upgradled filter, but curiously, while they say they now ship to Canada and Australia, their checkout only accepts US addresses. Heiden tuning don't say how many microns their sump filter conversion is. Waiting on an answer from both. Mikes, and 650 direct want my life savings to post to Australia. Life wasn't meant to be easy, but was it really meant to be this f^@ken hard!

IMG_0384.jpegIMG_0445.jpeg

I at one time was interested in a sump, spin on filter. Last year while loading my XS on a rental trailer, the bike came to a very abrupt stop. The tab for the kickstand got caught on the transition of the ramp to the trailer bed. I thought I wad lucky I didn’t have a filter hanging down there as it surely would have been damaged. I have the Heiden Tuning adaptor that uses a small pleated filter (Honda I think). That, along with frequent oil changes is good for me.

No such thing as a 150 micron filter that could be adapted. XS650.com advertise an upgradled filter, but curiously, while they say they now ship to Canada and Australia, their checkout only accepts US addresses. Heiden tuning don't say how many microns their sump filter conversion is. Waiting on an answer from both. Mikes, and 650 direct want my life savings to post to Australia. Life wasn't meant to be easy, but was it really meant to be this f^@ken hard!
Not sure what you mean here -- you are already on XS650.com -- that's this Forum -- and this Forum doesn't sell filters.
The "upgraded" filter that I think you are referring to is sold by MikesXS and its various reiterations, and that's the filter that was spec'ed here:
https://www.xs650.com/threads/new-b-sump-filter-change.8780/page-4#post-639460
The only thing upgraded about it is that it is reinforced so that the mesh is less likely to rip. Most of us here prefer to take a stock filter and reinforce it ourselves.

No, there is a parts supplier also named XS650.com, google XS650.com parts. They sell the uprated sump filter, Probably the same as mikes, but comsiderably cheaper.
I have a remote spin on spin which I machined myself along with engine mounts and cooler mount and a whole heap of other stuff. I did the sump filter guard mod a few years ago when I bought the bike.
I never buy aftermarket accessories , conversions or mods, prefer to make them.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    726.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 27
  • filterguard fitted.jpg
    filterguard fitted.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 30
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 31
XS650.com just answered my qerry: You can't order from their website, instead you have to email them with your name and address and they give you a shipping price, minimum order $100. Notnfor me.

Are you referring to YAMAHAXS650.COM ?
Just to clear the confusion. As previously mentioned this site is xs650.com and does not sell parts aside from the swap meet page from forum members.

Jesus Christ talk about a broken bloody record. The only confusion is in your head. Give it a rest for Christ's sake!

Last edited:
Maybe a link would clear up any confusion so people would stop “irritating” you.
BTW. I haven’t been able to find the thread but beags64 came up with a great sump filter replacement.

Back