Respirator recommendations

maxdog

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all,
Looking at using some of the Spraymax 2K for painting in the future and would like a recommendation for a respirator suitable for use with that product. Something locally obtainable, hopefully, from Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Thanks

A mask with air supplied externally is the safest way to deal with paint fumes especially two part paints. For a one time project I might guess something could even be rigged from an electric air mattress pump or the exhaust port of a clean vacuum cleaner....

Or maybe if you aren't going to be doing that much spraying.

"3M™ Dual Cartridge Respirator Assembly 07193, Organic Vapor/P95, Large

3M recommended for spray paint applications, with maintenance free design for convenience.

Designed to be a truly maintenance free style respirator which is discarded when the organic vapor cartridges are spent. The packout includes the Maintenance Free Half Facepiece Respirator 07193 with permanently attached organic vapor cartridges, 1 pair of filter retainers 07054, and 1 pair of P95 filters 07194. The 07193 is 3M recommended for spray paint applications in the automotive industry."

$13.50 with shipping on fleabay....

I reacted badly to Imron back in the day, it took a long time to recover....... I met a guy that had permanent lung damage from being in the same shop building with a truck being painted with imron.

Imron is evil crap! Along the lines of epoxy polyamide. Forced fresh air supply (versus demand style flow) is the best system. All filters have limits, vut you need a clean air pump, dedicated hoses, and a maintenance program to do supplied air right. Try it with your home compressor and some inline filter and drier kits and you may end up breathing stuff worse than the paint. A "clean" air mover as suggested by Gary would be tye only thing I'd ever try to rig up. All that said, the disposable Gary listed is what we use for epoxy, lacquer, and polyurethane products at work, and as long as you are honest, or better yet conservative about your usage time, its a good product.

Thanks for the replies. Not going to do a whole lot of painting (I think?) but heard such good things about the 2K stuff, wanted to give it a try. Once you start using this stuff, is there a limit on time before the remaining material is no longer useful? In other words, will I waste a can of this just doing one tank before doing another down the road?

Thanks

Another comment, not directly related to 2K.
A while back my wife developed hepatitus. Turned almost yellow/orange. Went to the doctor and was told she had auto-immune hepatitus. This is where your own immune system starts attacking your body thinking it is an enemy. In her case, it attacked her liver producing the hepatitus. Doctors said this can be triggered by a number of things, but one of them was contact with certain kinds of chemicals, perhaps even those in your own home or workplace. Your own immune system gets triggered to attack your own body. Hence the desire for a good respirator. Things to think about.....

Most jobs are 90% prep for 10% work.

So we shortcut on the prep at the peril of our health.

Lot of nasty chemicals we deal with are hard on the body.

Once harmed the body doesn't recover and you have a life time of regret.

I used the 3M dual cartridge respirator when I shot Imron 30 years ago. All the insects in my shop died the next day, and the shop remained bugless for the next 15 years.

This respirator is also great when servicing kitty litter boxes...

Last edited:
I agree with Gary's recommendation for a half-mask air-purifying (negative-pressure) respirator equipped with dual organic vapor/P95 cartridges. The organic vapor portion of the cartridge contains an adsorbent material that will filter out most organics and the P95 will filter out any particulates and mists.

If you experience eye irritation, then you may need tight-fitting chemical goggles along with the half-mask respirator. Its a challenge to find goggles that a) won't fog up and b) will achieve a reasonably good fit along with a half-mask respirator. If need be, I can provide you a recommendation with chemical goggles that should work while wearing a half-mask..... The most important thing is to have a good face to mask seal with the respirator.

Alternative to Half-Mask Respirator and Goggles:
Buy a full-facepiece twin cartridge respirator such as in the 3M 6000 Series. These are much pricier than a half-mask respirator, but you get eye/face protection and they are much more comfortable to wear for extended periods. Takes the same filters and cartridges as the 3M half-mask as they both have the Bayonet fittings.

Size: With respirators, one size does NOT fit all. You might need a Large, you might not. Here at Eastman, I am fit-tested every year with a medium 3M 6000 Series half-mask respirator and a medium MSA (Mine Safety Appliances) Ultra-Twin Full-facepiece cartridge respirator. I've been told that I have a large head....

While employees included in a company's Respiratory Protection Program receive annual fit-testing (with a device that can measure both inside and outside a respirator to quantitatively evaluate whether is a good seal) and training (per OSHA requirements), I'm not sure what members of the public at large are to do to ensure they're wearing the proper size respirator - aside from my below suggestion:

At minimum, there are simple Negative and Positive Pressure Fit-Checks that should be followed each and every time you don (put on) a respirator to ensure a proper fit. Here a couple of nice videos.

One last thing, to achieve a good seal between your face and respirator, be clean-shaven.

No beards, goatees (a modest Soul Patch is OK), civil war era muttonchops, Lincoln-esque Chinstraps, long-ass mustaches, etc. that will break the seal along your chin. if you don't have a good seal, contaminants will get in... At my plant, we fit-test over 3,000 employees annually and there is typically bitching and moaning when Deer Season comes around and guys want to get beardy. If you want to keep your Fu-Manchu or whatever, consider a 3M Powered Air Purifying Respirator or "PAPR". They still have a cartridge or filter but you wear it on a belt around your waist along with the battery pack and blower. PAPR's are Positive Pressure Respirators (like supplied-air respirators), but you're not tethered to an air supply hose. No need to be clean-shaven or do fit tests or fit checks.

I am an Industrial Hygienist (for 23 years) with Eastman, so I routinely evaluate/measure airborne chemicals (listed on MSDS's) during the performance of tasks (e.g., spray painting) or over a person's workshift so as to determine whether their "exposure" exceeds OSHA limits (or other established guidelines). If it does, we recommend appropriate respirators, but first recommend engineering controls (ventilation) to reduce airborne concentrations.

Do your paint spraying in a well-ventilated area if at all possible!

Back