Resurrecting a battery

Even if you could bring it back from the dead, it would be a "zombie" battery. And you can't trust them :wink2:

charged it overnight.
Your rate of charge will play a large part of how long your battery lasts.
Anything much over 1.5 amps will boil/bubble and evaporation will remove the electrolyte.
So even the 2 amp trickle chargers for larger sized batteries(boat trolling motor as example) will eventually take it's toll.
The AGM batteries will react the same as a wet cell to over charging.
Don't mistake the wick as fool proof.
Just my opinion.

Is there a way to bring a battery back from the dead? I used distilled water and charged it overnight. Still no charge.

Yes, it is possible. I suspect your battery voltage is now less than 3 volts. If you are using a battery charger that has electronic monitoring (which is most chargers these days), they won't charge any battery with less tha 3 volts.

What you need is a no frills, basic type battery charger. I don't know if you can even buy a basic charger anymore. If you can buy a charger without any of the fancy electronic monitoring functions, then that would charge the battery.

I have an old 2 amp battery charger, about 40 years old, and it has been used to charge a car battery that was down to 2 volts.

I read a trick somewhere where if the battery was below 3 volts you hook it up to the smarty-pants charger (I have a battery tender plus) then connect a good battery in parallel with it to get the voltage up. once the smart charger runs for about 15 seconds, unhook the good battery and let it go. Supposed to work, have not tried it. If it's a wet battery It can also have dead (shorted) cells. The only way I have seen a battery with shorted cells brought back (albiet for a very short time) was to boil the shit out of it by charging it at 20-25 amps for 15 minutes with a welder, but sometimes they blow up, so, not really reccomended.
As said above, fuck a flooded cell battery. Get an AGM.

Here's a second vote for the BatteryMINDer. My dad picked one up for the battery in his Mule and I've put it to use a few times. Desulfators work.

With a battery that's down to 1 or 2 volts, there's no guarantee that it will come back. If it's an old battery, and/or has a dead cell, then the battery is finished.

Pumping 20 amps or more into a fully discharged battery, would be really dangerous.

With a battery that's down to 1 or 2 volts, there's no guarantee that it will come back. If it's an old battery, and/or has a dead cell, then the battery is finished.

Pumping 20 amps or more into a fully discharged battery, would be really dangerous.

That's why I was sure to note that sometimes they blow up! You do what you have to sometimes. Seen it done, seen it work, would never do it myself.:thumbsup:

My experience, AGMs last 6-7 years, when a quality maintenance charger is used. Flooded cell, maybe 4 if you're lucky.

Yep. I would rather spend a few bucks than go through all the problems a dying battery gives you . These things don't run very well when any part of the charging system is weak. Nobody ever just tosses a battery when it is 2 years old and gets a new one , they always wait untill after it leaves them stranded .

My experience, lead acid batteries last for 2 1/2 years weather they are pampered or abused. Buy a cheap one and replace every 2 years.

Scott

I don't think 2 1/2 years is typical. Maybe it is, if you buy the cheapest battery out there.

My car battery is 8 years old and working just fine. My XS650 battery is about 7 years old and again, its works great.

Both are lead/acid type.

Yep. I would rather spend a few bucks than go through all the problems a dying battery gives you . These things don't run very well when any part of the charging system is weak. Nobody ever just tosses a battery when it is 2 years old and gets a new one , they always wait untill after it leaves them stranded .

No need to get stranded due to a weak electrical system. Just install a voltmeter on your bike, and you always know the status of the electrics.

Maybe I've had bad luck, but I have nothing good to say about AGM batteries. Twice the price for no better service. Obviously others have had better results, but I've had two and neither one has lasted more than a couple years.

In my business we deal with a lot of small batteries, boats, pwc's, atv's etc. Often they sit for months on end without activity. When they get flat enough they will not accept a charge. If you hook them up to a 12v jump pack or other good battery for a few minutes they will often "wake up" enough to allow a 1.5 amp hr charger to bring them back to a full charge.

Back