XS750 - battery drain

misiek303

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi

I wonder if you met a situation like that. A lithium battery is fully charged and the next day is drained unused. What could cause that in that bike?

The regulator on a stock XS is not designed to work with a Lithium battery. Lithium batteries are a bit more fussy about charging power supplies than a lead acid.
I have never researched what rectifier is suitable to both the XS and the Lithium, my plan is to go sealed lead acid
Try disconnecting the alternator and see if the problem persists.

Got a test light?

Disconnect the battery ground. Put the test light in series. If there is a draw, the light will glow. Disconnect one fuse at a time. One of them will put the light out. Now, you’ll know what circuit to look in rather than just guessing. Unplug one component at a time in that circuit until you find the culprit.

:agree:A multimeter set to milliamps will also work when using Marty's troubleshooting procedure:thumbsup:

(Do the rectifier test first)

I found that I have a bad battery for now. I will replace it with Sealed instead of lithium. I will come back if the issue persists.
Thank you

Marty what do you mean when you say
Disconnect the battery ground. " put the test light in series"
Disconnect the battery cable ground cable and then run test light from battery neg post ? to the ??
This sounds useful I'm slow to get the how to
Thanks
Got a test light?

Disconnect the battery ground. Put the test light in series. If there is a draw, the light will glow. Disconnect one fuse at a time. One of them will put the light out. Now, you’ll know what circuit to look in rather than just guessing. Unplug one component at a time in that circuit until you find the culprit.

Marty what do you mean when you say
Disconnect the battery ground. " put the test light in series"
Disconnect the battery cable ground cable and then run test light from battery neg post ? to the ??
This sounds useful I'm slow to get the how to
Thanks
Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Put the clamp for the test light on a ground. Touch the test light probe to the negative battery terminal. If the lamp glows at all, you have a draw on the battery.

And it's just that easy
Thanks for the explanation !!
And just in case I bookmarked it too

i did that using multimeter. I have 12v when i switch key ignition on. 12v between the negative battery terminal and the body. Short ?
Goes away only if main fuse removed. Rectifier unplugged during the test. Don't have the test light at this moment. Is it a good test or the ignition should be off ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
i did that using multimeter. I have 12v when i switch key ignition on. 12v between the negative battery terminal and the body. Short ?
Goes away only if main fuse removed. Rectifier unplugged during the test. Don't have the test light at this moment. Is it a good test or the ignition should be off ?
Ignition off should read o voltage ignition on you should read bat voltage

Back