Reusing Exhaust Header Studs

bosshasr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see a lot of posts about trying to remove header studs in the process of trying to replace them. If the studs seem to be in acceptable condition, is there any reason they can't just be cleaned up and left in place instead of dealing with 1 or several snapped off studs that were stuck in the aluminum?

If there not rusted out, yeah clean them up and use them. Mine were pretty bad so I replaced them. PB blaster and two nuts butted up to one another and they came out fairly easy.

Yup I run a die over them if they are ugly. Run it on the right the way, then once more backwards to clean the threads all the way in. Heat is your friend for removal. Then again I 'm the kind of guy that runs a tap through the sprocket bolt holes in the rear hub when I have them off. And I keep a 6mm bottoming tap in a tap holder at the bench.

I've never replaced one. Yes, they usually look like crap, all rusty and crusty, but I just wire wheel them clean and chase the threads if need be. Or I make sure I blast them if bead blasting the rest of the head. This is one of the hottest spots on the motor so anything but a stainless replacement would probably burn it's plating off and start looking crusty in short order. I keep the entire exposed portions of mine covered with anti-seize.

Back