Revs holding temporarily

Thanks Leo,

The fuel washing them off makes sense.

I've read the "bible" a couple times now, but since those butterfly seals aren't found on the microfiche for the BS34's anywhere, I'm having trouble figuring out if there are supposed to be washers like that on both sides of the shaft (2 per carb).

Just from (my poor) memory I think it's just on one side of each carb. The side of the shaft that does not have a thread?

Just from (my poor) memory I think it's just on one side of each carb. The side of the shaft that does not have a thread?

Thanks Gary. Now I have to figure out how to remove the stripped to hell screw on the plate that links the carbs... I got one out last night... It was Red locktited... seriously? I wouldn't be surprised if the one I'm having so much trouble with was JB Welded.

I've seen more than one case where to little clearance in your valves will cause high idle. This is not confined to the XS650 but is true with lots of bikes. People do tend to over tighten them.

Yeah, it can be a bit tough to get the hang of feeler gauges for sure. My set is missing the feeler that is 1 size up from spec , so I'm sure that doesn't help. From what I remember the exhaust valves may have required a bit of coaxing to get the feeler gauge in there so I'll check that out later today.

Those heads are #3 phillips I think, I take and grind off the tip of a phillips bit so it's a bit flatter, that makes it fit better and the hand impact wrench removal goes a lot better. I will also lightly hammer the bit into the head before putting the impact wrench on, especially if the screw head is already munged up.

Well I finally got it off... I ended up trying to cut a flat head into it with a dremel... That didn't work, so I cut off the whole head and grabbed the rest with vise grips. It had some hard grey stuff in there... I'm half tempted to call the PO and ask what the heck was in there. I am unbelievably excited to have the whole carb held together with Stainless Allens.

Now I just need to get ahold of some JIS screwdrivers and get some new throttle plate screws. They aren't too bad, but I really don't want to go through a similar experience with those.

Back