Rewiring this 83 XS650 simplified, is there still the TCI?

pnedac

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I see that the simplified wiring diagrams on the "some wiring diagrams" (5th one down the page)page, particularly the 81 XS simplified one that looks oh so simple, appears to be without the TCI.. It has the coil, ignitor unit, pickup coil, but I do not see that it has that little black box under the battery that I believe is the TCI unit.

Is that correct?

Furthermore, I see that the diagram has what looks like a ground coming out of the positive batterty where it says "power outlet". What is that?

Lastly off of the rec/reg there is a greeen and a brown that appear to go to a small, unlabeled square. What is that?

I rewired my 77 XS without too much trouble, but this 83 is a bit different and I want to make sure that I am including everything that will be needed in order ot make it work. I know that there will be at least 2-4 components that will not be needed per the diagram.

The bottom line reson is the PO had the wiring so F'ed up that absolutely nothing worked right and I figured it would be best to rewire it myself for modernizing purposes and peace of mind that I can figure stuff out later.

All help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Pnedac

The ignitor unit is the TCI. And it is the black box under the battery box.
I used the 2nd one down with great success.
Trace the wires and follow the wire colors to double, double check.
That's why keeping original wire colors helps in the long run. Others can follow a diagram or if you forget, you can follow it.

power outlet is for using a battery tender or ? Little box is your brush holder for the charging system.

I like #4 it shows the basic points set up. If you have the TCI just swap the points box for the TCI box. The reg and rec box for the combo reg/rec box. If you want the starter just hook in the starter.
THe #5 I might add one more fuse. Where the brown wire comes off the key and splits to go down to the reg/rec I would put a fuse in there too.
#2 has just one fuse. I like one for each major circuit. One main, One ignition, One lights, One for the reg/rec, one for the brakes, turn signals and horn.
This way if a fuse blows you just have one circuit to trouble shoot.
Also if an Ignition fuse blows and you don't have a spare you can borrow one from the brake/turn/horn or reg/rec to get home.
Leo

When I used #2 I did add fuses to the other components. It easily done. I also installed signals and horn. I think it's a little easier to read.

Back