Riding Goggles?

^How about motorcycles are dangerous, therefore it's ok to ride with no hands?

I wasn't helmet harping. I'm all about choice. Just keep your hands on the bars. And unload your guns before you clean them. :) I'd feel remiss if I saw someone contemplating either and didn't say something. I am aware it's none of my business:D

I just get frustrated with the non motorcycle riders going on about that. My roommate knows I ride and at one point I asked him if he had a bike (referring to a bicycle). He thought I meant motorcycle and started going off about how he does't ride cause he had an uncle who died on a bike or something like that. I was just like 'okay, a simple no would've done, but I was asking about pedal power...'

I do appreciate that you're trying to educate though, there are definitely some riders that ride helmetless because they truly don't understand the risk. I just liked Maxwell's response, seems to make a lot of sense.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or tell others how to live their lives. Just giving fair warning.

Yes riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous. I personally wont be making the choice to increase my risk of fatal injury. Like riding near or around semi trucks. I've seen people ride with flipflops (sandals), but you won't catch me doing that either. :laughing:

I think 3/4 helmets 'look' great. I always wanted one. Its your choice, and I'm fine with whatever you do with YOUR life. I dont wish harm on anyone... not even people I dislike.

:thumbsup:

heres some goggles for you.
$45
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2024789601P?prdNo=14

Alright so we got bit off topic. Now that we got that out of our system, and now know a bit more about why we should wear helmets. - lets get back to the thread origin.

Goggles :thumbsup:

Anybody got em and like em, post it so we all can see. :D

ShotgunJoe

really diggin the light tinting!

Okay buddy, here we go. These are all at a higher price point and I don't own any of them but I thought they're worth mentioning because they're highly thought of for a variety of reasons. Good things to put on xmas/bday lists or keep your eye on ebay/CL for a cheap set. Personally, I wear a cheap set of goggles I bought for $10 at a swap meet :D

Randolph Engineering (RE) Aviators
They're about the price of a pair of Raybans (just over $100, I believe). So why choose these? They're standard issue for US fighter pilots and NASA astronauts. That's a pretty solid recommendation. You can also specify spade style (the end of the earpiece), size, finish, and lens tint for a real custom fit.

Halcyon Goggles
I've heard they're a high quality goggle at a slightly more affordable price range than the next set. I think they go for around $70.

Aviator Goggles by Jeantet
These are the originals and that's reflected in the price range. This company (started in 1880) started making goggles in 1929 and they quickly rose in popularity. They're sold through a number of resellers but expect to pay close to $200.

How about these http://bobster.com/ some are a little pricy but most are reasonable ... I have a pair of the ambush convertibles with prescription lenses (the lenses cost a lot more than the glasses themselves) but well worth the money in my book

The biggest gripe I have about riding glasses or goggles is that I wear prescription glasses and none fit over my glasses. I use $3 clear safety glasses from Lowe's. THey don't press on my glasses from the wind as bad a several of the goggles I've tried.
Leo

The biggest gripe I have about riding glasses or goggles is that I wear prescription glasses and none fit over my glasses. I use $3 clear safety glasses from Lowe's. THey don't press on my glasses from the wind as bad a several of the goggles I've tried.
Leo

HA!! I thought I was the only one......
I did find some over-the-glasses sunglasses that work ok. WallyWorld, around 20 bucks in their vision center.

I wear the safety glasses that I wear around the shop, and that I used to wear when I spun wrenches at the stealership. Work fine for me I could care less about what other people think, as far as fashion. But I have seen some "steampunk" like goggles on fleabay that I'm thinking about getting there about 6 dollars or so after shipping and there tinted.

I keep buying goggles and I keep going back to wrap-around sunglasses.
Even with full-face. ONly thing about some wrap-around shades where the "arms" that go over your ears are plastic - dayum! some of them are tight! either that ot my over-the-ear area is way too sensitive. I guess they make them that way so they stay on people with no helmets (or people in MG-B's with the top down, etc) But some of them really REALLY hurt.
I wish I could just wear my Rayban aviators all the time - they are soooo freakin' comfortable and don't ever hurt my head, but I feel they break too easy for cycle use and also it just seems glass lenses might not be the best thing in case of breakage near eyeball.
The last goggles I tried were the variable lens type and I think they were Bobster brand. They just didn't "vary" enough for me. i.e. didn't get dark enough when it was bright and at night, didn't turn "clear" enough.

If I think I'm gonna have to ride in the dark I make sure to wear fullface and just keep visor shut.

Back