riding in the rain

jayel

#9 Guru 74 TX650A
Reaction score
1/2 inch of rain yesterday, rode about forty miles in it @ 50/55 MPH, 78 SR500E stocker (I love fenders) never missed a beat, Shinko 712's front and rear very sure footed tires

Yeah...............anybody can ride these bikes in clear sunny weather. Its takes a real biker to venture out in the rain, especially that Iowa rain, which I've heard is somehow wetter than other parts of the country:)

Do you carry rain gear?

yeah you bet that is what saddlebags are made for, the SR is the only one of my road bikes without a wind shield tho', don't know if Iowa rain is any wetter than regular rain but it seems to work ok, we needed it was starting to get a little dry in the fields and gardens

While reading this thread Billy Joel's song You May Be Right was playing on the radio.

"Even rode my motorcycle in the rain"

We sure could use some of that rain here.

well I would love to send some rain up there.
I carry rain gear 90% of the time in the summer.
if a guy is prepared it aint to bad.
just watch out for puddles, paint, and metal grate bridges.

We road 340 miles in the rain (70 miles of it was sideways and about 8" deep) for a bologna samdwich ( best samdwich i evere had haha) the old xs hardtail missed the hole time it don't like rain not sure why I have changed the coils,wires,ign.box and wiring to it
only part I havn't changed is the ign.switch(it's stock)any way we had a good time riding.

you aint a real biker till you have the front and rear mud stripe

Or the busted scapula. Think you earned a new patch for that, Carbon.

My old leather 'fringe' jacket also has a permanent black/splotcho stripe running up the bottom left rear. The old Harley chain auto-oiler included that jacket mod feature at no extra charge...

Last edited:
I used to get off work on Friday evenings in Portland, and ride (often two-up) on my brand new 1972 Kawasaki 90 to Salem to catch ZZ Top, Eric Burdon, Fleetwood Mac, Wishbone Ash, etc., performing at the Armory. At least half of those journeys were in pitch black, windy Oregon rainstorms.

No rain gear, just denim, helmet and gloves. A fair weather rider for decades now (with 4WD car and truck), I recall how it simply didn't occur to me that anything was even slightly risky about my weekly trips. That's how I got around, and I had places to be.

I also remember my operational definition of "really wet on a bike." That's when the water on your frontside and the water on your backside soak all the way down through your clothing, and you actually feel them meet under your nether regions. Ahh, the good ol' days...

The "rear mud stripe", just reminded me of a childhood event. I was in grade 5 or grade 6 and a cute young lady, in my class, was looking for a ride home after school. Always being the gentleman, I offered her a ride on my pedal bike. So off we go with her sitting on the seat, with me standing up and pedaling.

Unfortuately, I had forgot about a few things. First, my bike did not have a rear fender, and secondly, it had been raining a little during the day. Her mother was standing at their front door looking very suspiciously at me, as we drove up. I guess she thought I was of questionable character at best. As my class mate got off my bike and walked up to the house, I got real scared. The young ladie's red coat had a brown stripe up the whole length:yikes:. The mother saw the stripe and gave me a look that said..............you idiot, don't you ever come near my daughter again. I was gone as quick as my little legs could pedal:D.

good stories Guys.
2many, lol I need a patch. :thumbsup:
I just don't have the muscles I used too.
I have been looking at body armor.
Chinese armor is less than $100.
I even found some under $50.
I've been looking for something not so hot for the summer

Friend of mine and I rode from Memphis to New Orleans, me on my Yamaha TX500 and he on his fairly new Triumph Trident. We hit rain squalls every few miles and his 'trumpet' died. Dry it and go then repeat. Long slow trip.

Mud stripes!! Ariel Square 4 belonged to bro-in-law. I was in the Navy, went to visit Sis and found the newly acquired bike, he let me take it for a ride on rain soaked roads. No rear fender and me in my sparkling white Navy uniform. What a great bike that was!!

What do you guys favor for eye protection in the rain?

I'd like to improve visiblity without adding little windshield wipers to my face shield.

I ware full faced helmet.
I like RainZip for my face shield.
works like rainx. but it works on plastic face shields
rainx is not for plastic face shields

What do you guys favor for eye protection in the rain?

I'd like to improve visiblity without adding little windshield wipers to my face shield.

I just wipe my face shield with my gloved left hand :) works pretty well.

Back