Riding season halfway complete.

bmfakler

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got my license and my first bike (1979 xs650 special) in early June and have been having a lot of fun with some problems of course from a newly purchased vintage bike. I replaced the exhaust system with a MAC 2-1, new K&N air filters (stock replacement), new bars, rear sets, and grips. After a bunch of fiddling with fuel mixture screw adjustments/idle adjustments I have the bike running perfectly when warmed up. However I now have a ton of trouble starting up the bike cold because the choke doesn't work at all anymore and I realize I probably will have to get the carbs completely redone this winter. I was just wondering what your opinions would be on possible upgrades I could make this winter to make the bike more reliable, and an easy runner. I've heard about ignition systems like PAMCO, what're your thoughts? I want bigger bulkier looking tires and I have to redo the forks (with gaiters) so what're your suggestions for tires and forks?

sorry for the long message, just looking for a lot of ideas to put a list together and make my bike the best it can be for next season!

(P.S. does anyone have a link or something for rear set installation??? I bought loaded gun customs rear set kit but it came with no directions for the gear shifter and brake lever cuts....)

Posted via Mobile

I would say that before you spend any more money on trick exhaust systems and rear sets you need to get the bike running good. The Pamco ignition is a good purchase and if after reading the "carb guide" you still are having trouble perhaps it's time to send them to somebody than can get them spot on. It is an ongoing job to keep a 30 + yo bike going, give it your best but spend wisely---tim

I'd say go with the pamco and pma carbs I'd take it to some one let them mess with them and welcome to the site u got any pic of the bike yet

Most definitely I have a picture man! The picture was taken at Rockerbox in Milwaukee it was awesome! The exhaust system had to be replaced too when I bought the bike because it had pure straight pipes that were rusted up with no baffles...which were annoying as all hell. I'll take the advice though with the pamco, I just always see people raving about how well they do.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 219
Back