Right amount of engine oil with sump filter conversion

Dig these feet

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi. My 1980 engine has a sump filter conversion. See picture. I just wondered, does this alter the amount of engine oil I should put in? If so, does anyone know the correct amount? It's difficult to use the sight glass because I don't have a centre stand and I read somewhere that the marks on the dipstick weren't necessarily correct. Yamaha changed it's advice or something. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 199
Ok, the proper oil level is found by using the center stand, you don't have one so hold the bike straight up. Pull the dip stick, look for the oil on the stick. The top mark is the max level, the bottom mark is the minimum level, the proper level is 1/2 way between. This level is right no matter what sump filter you run.
Trying to keep it at the max level can lead to using too much oil. If the level is too high any extra will get blown out the breather.
If excessively high it can blow seals as well as leak out other places. As the engine runs crankcase pressure builds up from the pistons moving down a well as blow by of the rings. If the oil level is too high the pressure is building in a smaller space. This creates higher pressure. The seals can only hold so much. Places where cases seal only hold so much.
A lot of use power brake check valves in the breather hose. These are one way valves that let pressure out but not let it return. This creates a small vacuum in the crank case. This helps prevent leaks and blown seals. It also helps the rings seal better.
Leo

it will add bit to the amount of oil needed to fill just put the normal amount in start the bike up let the oil go through, then engine stop it then check the oil and add the amount needed

About the seal on the cam shaft, Crud builds up on the cam. This crud prevents the seals from doing it's job. Some of this crud is oil, some is rust.
On you 80 there is nothing under the points and advancer covers unless it was upgraded with a new ignition, then it might. Any way remove the covers, There are three big Phillips head screws that hold the housing on the engine. A hand impact tool with the right size Phillips bit will get them out without damage. Once off use a Scotch Bright pad to clean and polish the end of the cam.
Once it's bright and shiny replace the housing.
If you damaged the gasket or o-ring they need replacing to. Anyway it should fix the leak unless the seal is damaged.
Worth a try.
Leo

Back