Right bowl overflowing

Musick76

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I took off the carbs and moved the needle clip and double checked the main and pilot jets today. Took it for a very short ride and when I shut it off fuel was pouring out of the right filter. I have gone through them and found that fuel is just not getting down to the right bowl. If I leave the right fuel tube off and turn on the left petcock fuel will start flowing out of the right inlet. Both float valves are new an the right one seems clean and in working order. Float height is dead on for both. Is the float valve just bad? This is a 76 XS650. BS38s:banghead:

Often even with properly set float valves crud from the tank can hold a float valve open.
When you cleaned the carbs, did you also clean the tank?
On your 76 as most of the pre 80 bikes your carbs have two inlets, one for each carb, there is a crossover tube so one petcock can feed both carbs. Leaving one fuel line off and turning on the other petcock fuel should flow out the other carb inlet.
Being as there is a crossover you will have fuel to both carbs as long as at least one petcock is "on".
On the bottom of your carbs you have a drain plug. Remove the right drain plug, does fuel come out? Turn on one petcock, either one or both, Does fuel come out?
If so then your carb is getting fuel.
If it's getting fuel and fuel leaks, then something is holding the float open. Either misadjustment or crud in the float valve.
Leo

Back