right cylinder popping on decel

clemon69

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
hello folks. i recently purchased a 1982 xs650. it was not running at the time, although it did turn over and had good compression. the guy i bought it from said it had been sitting for about a year. the bike was in good overall shape, good tires, paint, chrome, etc. and i figured why would he have a custom made cover for it if it didn't run. so i gave him 700 bucks for the bike and all the extras he had for it and took it home. i started with the carbs. they were so gummed up, i had to replace a few of the internals, which i bought from mikesxs. i got them nice and clean and reinstalled. i then replaced the air filters and the spark plugs. also replaced the gaskets between the carbs and intake. basic pm stuff. i can now get the bike to start, but i had to adjust the idle mixture screws all the way out to get it to idle. in addition, the right cylinder pops pretty good on deceleration. is this an air problem, or maybe a timing issue. i hope to get it fixed soon. i test drove it around the neighborhood and loved the feel of it. now i am chomping at the bit to get it on the streets of new orleans!
thanks
chad l.
NOLA
1982 yamaha xs650

Your carbs are probably not clean enough yet. The idle circuit on that right carb is probably still partially plugged. It could also be a carb sync issue. You have electronic ignition. It's pre-set and should never change or need adjustment so I don't think it's a timing issue.

Your carbs are probably not clean enough yet. The idle circuit on that right carb is probably still partially plugged. It could also be a carb sync issue. You have electronic ignition. It's pre-set and should never change or need adjustment so I don't think it's a timing issue.
thanks for the info. i will pull them off again and go through them. i'm sure i missed something simple. or should i first have them synced and see if that resolves the issue?
chad l.
82 xs650

I would sync them 1st before pulling them off and all apart again. Also check mix screw settings on both carbs. They should be set about the same and be about 3 turns out. If that side that's popping is set at like 1 or 2 turns out, that could be the reason right there.

Back