Right side backfiring and cold exhaust, HELP!!!

highroller95

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an 83 with a new pamco and fresh top end. When I had the head off, I did not adjust the valves thinking they would be ok. I started the bike today and it will idle on the left side only with the right side having a cold exhaust, but when I rev it, it will pick up the right side enough to backfire a lot. I tried switching coils, plugs, etc, with no luck. I have cleaned the carbs more times than I want to talk about, but when I bought it, someone had put RTV in one of the pilot holes instead of buying the plug. I think I have it all cleaned out and have replaced all of the jets. When I crank the engine over with my hand over the Right carb intake, I can feel it "push back" The left side only sucks, no push. Any Ideas?

Are you saying you disassembled and reassembled the top end without backing the valve adjusters off first? :yikes:

First things first
spray some starter fluid in the non firing cylinder at idle just to make sure its firing at low RPM. That will eliminate a spark problem. Next you might have to clean your carbs again =) I did the same thing and it was the idle passage way that runs through the float bowl. If i remember correctly it has two exits so when you get fluid flowing out of one hole plug it with a finger and keep spraying. Do that with ALL passage ways in the carbs and chase the fluid with compressed air.
Also could be your diaphragms have you checked them for pin holes

Yeah, why is that a problem? I didn't think you could bend a valve doing that, or are you asking because the vavles would need to be readjusted?

I originally thought it was still a carb problem, but then I did the hand over the carb intake and felt it "pushing" on the compression stroke. This leads me to believe that it is a valve problem? I will try cleaning the carbs again and any help is appreciated!

When you do a top end overhaul, it goes without saying that you would back off the valve adjusters. With new camchain, the chain tension has to be re-set correctly and then the valve clearances.

The valve adjusters should be left backed off while you torque down the head studs, otherwise you are working against spring tension on one of the cylinders.

I would go through the basic tune up, Adjust the cam chain tension, set valves, Then start on the carbs, A good cleaning, paying particular attention to the idle circuits. New plugs too.

Back