Wanted - right side carb body XS2

Clarko

Yamaholic
Reaction score
in the process of changing throttle shaft seals I wrecked one of my carbs:doh:. I believe 72,73 ans 74 are the same.

I just need the body with throttle shaft and butterfly. Good shape, no stripped threads etc.

I'll take complete carbs as well if the price is right.

I'd really like to upgrade if someone has a set of carbs (VM or PWK) that aren't TOO pricey.

thanks

72 and 73 are the same, 74 is different.
Check the markings on the needle in the slide. 72 nad 73 use a 4JN19 needle. 74 uses a 4N8 needle.
Tell me what you have, and I'll tell you if I have the body (I probably have it, and I don't want a lot for it).
Another difference is the floor of the bodies. 72 and 73 have a raised floor, 74 does not. Post or email me a pic of the body pointed at the intake, and I'll tell you which you have.
If you want to upgrade, I will sell you a good, guaranteed, re-buildable set of LINKED BS38s from 78-79 (single throttle cable) for $100, and I will throw in brand new o-rings, and I will sell you brand new OEM Yamaha shaft seals (not MikesXS ones) cheap. The linked carbs are far superior than the unlinked ones. There is really no need to shell out the dough for VMs or PWKs unless you are building a show bike or a racer or something.

Dog, thanks for the info. I can hopefully take pictures and post them tomorrow. I'd like to stick with my current carbs only because they have new slides/ diaphragms, a whole bunch of different size jets and are fully rebuilt and spotless.

If the parts can be swapped into the later BS38s I am definitely interested in yours.

Parts cannot be swapped with later BS38s.
Maybe I can save you from having to take that pic.
http://www.handspiral.com/images/aXS650/2012/carb_fuel_block_off.jpg
Above picture shows what an intake on a 74 or later BS38 looks like. Note that the bore is pretty much perfectly round, all around. On 1973 and earlier carbs, there is a raised, flat deck in the middle of the bottom of the bore, right where you see the tip of the brass nozzle poking into the bore in my pic. An XS2 carb set should have the deck. Double-check the marks on the needle as I described before.
I have several nice raised-deck right-side bodies with shafts and butterflies (and 74 bodies too, if that turns out to be what you have). Just PM me an offer.

The number on the needle is "Y22". I took a picture and I believe it is the earlier carb.

0504131450_zpsb8fe850f.jpg.html

**the image doesn't seem to show up on the forum but if you right click and open in new tab you can see it.

Last edited:
No XS650 ever came with a Y22. See if the other needle is the same. Maybe you should see what the markings are on the nozzles too. Should be Z-6. PM me.

Mikes re-build kits are notorious for having the wrong parts in them. Y22 must be some kind of compromise, I guess to replace the unobtainable 4JN19 and 4N8. I have the correct needles (for you, the 4JN19), and if I were you, I'd ditch the Y22s.
Nozzle is another name for the needle jet -- the brass tube in the float bowl that the needle slides into. Looks like this:
https://www.mikesxs.net/parts/img600/48-0654.jpg
Yes, you have the raised deck.
Got your PM.

Back