Right side carburetor is pouring gas through the overflow

Bminer23

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.. So I'm new to this lol shocking right? I know but I have a little story for you all.. After my grandfather passed away I inherited his 1975 yamaha xs650 everything is still stock and the bike only has 4500 miles on it.. Little rust pits but easy clean up. After a weekend of working on it we got it running.. My dad had tears in his eyes Bc the last time he saw the bike running was back when it was purchased. My grandfather had it In his garage in Florida where it sat for probably 15 years or so.. Anyways I'm having an issue with the right carb.. It just pours gas through the overflow like a faucet but the bike is running smooth no noises no sputtering nothing I took the carbs off and cleaned them.. Boiled in lemon juice and worked like a charm the bike never ran so good.. This gas problem seems to be the only issue.. I checked the floats and pins and needles and everything seems to check out.. I will say that I road it 2 days ago with no issues what's so ever no leaks or anything.. Last night I kicked it over first kick started right up like the 70s haha but while it was parked/idling gas poured.. Can some one help me please!

OK haha thank you..now one thing I was wondering about was the petcocks.. I only had the left petcock on.. It seemed like as soon as I turned them both on it was instant flooding.. So I assumed it was the float not making the connection to shut off the gas flow

Welcome to the forum and thank you for identifying your bike. However, many of us older types like pictures, especially of what sounds like a practically NOS '75, so please humour us!

There could be a piece of dirt or grit stuck in the float needle seat of that leaking carb, stopping it from sealing. This can happen from time to time on a newly renovated bike. There might be some crap in the gas tank that's getting through. At the very least, a "shake and rinse" of the tank is a good idea. You should also probably pull and clean the petcocks. There should be a filter screen attached to the nipple that the fuel line connects to, part #29 here .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1975/XS650B/FUEL TANK TX650A - XS650B/parts.html

Awesome! Thank you I will drain the tank tonight and pull the petcocks off and clean.. Now this maybe a stupid question but what do a shake and rinse the tank out with Hahah

You can use brake or carb cleaner to spray the petcock out and clean the filter screen if there is one. Adding an in-line filter to each fuel house wouldn't be a bad idea either. make sure the float levels are at the correct height.

If the tank has rust in it there are a lot of different ways to clean it after draining all the gas. I once let white vinegar sit in the tank for a week, but it isn't that great. I eventually bought a rubber coating which will seal up the inside of the tank. Hopefully yours isn't that bad though.

Hi and welcome. Pics are always good, if you copy and paste the "image" links from somewhere like photo bucket, it will show pics in full size too. You can practice in the sandbox - it took me a few goes to get it right :)

Re your problem with the carbs. I had a very similar issue with a Keihin carb on my last build. It was a combination of poor float height adjustment and the finest, tiny particles of crap from the tank. As 5 Twins says, a shake and rinse will certainly help. Take the tank off and pop in some clean nuts, bolts, metal off cuts etc. Then Bung the petcock hole up and pop in a splash of petrol, pop the cap on and shake away (yes you look a bit daft :) )
Rinse and repeat. Inline filters will also help any future issues.
Then strip and clean the carbs with carb cleaner and blow through all passages etc too.

If you do go with a handful of nuts and bolts in the tank, count how many you put in so you know you got them all out later.

So there was very little gas that was left in the tank but when we shined a light in it was spotless. Other thing is would I be able to get those in line filters at local parts store? Or do they have to be special.?

Well good thing it is clean! Rust is a pain. If you mean the inline fuel filters, you can buy basic ones at an auto parts store. Should just be 1/4". Just buy small ones. If you want something fancier then check online. Mikes xs has a few basic types. I like clear ones so you can see if fuel is flowing. It helps if you ever have issues. I like to use 5mm fuel line to, that way you can slide everything together without clamps. Buy a few feet from ebay if you want to replace the fuel hose while you are messing with it.

Oh and i have a really neat glass filter on my cafe. It unscrews so you can actually clean inside the filter to if you need to. They are around $10 a piece on ebay i think.

Heads up if you haven't, REPLACE all the fuel lines. Tygon is a good choice. old lines shed tiny slivers of rubber from the inside as you slide them off and on the fittings. Those little pieces of rubber get stuck in the float valve seat.
BTW there is a fuel line between the carbs either petcock feeds both carbs.

Awesome thanks! I took off tank and drained it I took off petcocks took of carbs.. I'm going to do a clean through everything and replace hoses and get in line filters I will work on getting pictures up and will keep you guys up to date! Thanks again!

Heads up if you haven't, REPLACE all the fuel lines. Tygon is a good choice. old lines shed tiny slivers of rubber from the inside as you slide them off and on the fittings. Those little pieces of rubber get stuck in the float valve seat.
BTW there is a fuel line between the carbs either petcock feeds both carbs.
This is awesome news lol I felt like everytime I turned both petcocks on it was too much gas I was only using the left petcock and no issues until something stopped the float! So thank you!

This is awesome news lol I felt like everytime I turned both petcocks on it was too much gas I was only using the left petcock and no issues until something stopped the float! So thank you!

I think you misunderstood. Both Carbs are fed by either petcock by the cross-tube between the carbs, but both petcocks should be able to be on without the bike running poorly. The floats are what will regulate the fuel level in the bowls, gas shouldn't leak at all if things are correctly adjusted.

Hi Bminer and welcome,
while you are changing fuel lines, renew the front brake hydraulic lines too.
Those lines have a mebbe 5 year working life before their innards start to decompose and I'd bet yours came with the bike.
Better yet, upgrade to stainless wire braid lines, they really do work better.
And you didn't mention installing new tires. Old tires are killers, they get as hard as wood even if they look perfect.

Back