Right side clutch casing

Dom

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Quick question, I'm going the be doing an oil change and while it's empty I was going to wjlhip the right side casing off to flat and polish it. Will I need a new gasket or is there a chance it will come away intact?

Lastly, the tacho cable has a 10mm bolt below it in the casing, does this need removing to get the case away?

There's a chance the cover will come off without harming the gasket, allowing you to re-use it. I guess it depends on how it was installed, with or without sealer. I just oil my gasket and the cover comes off without sticking to it. I'm able to re-use the gasket, usually several times.

No, you don't need/want to remove that M6 bolt below where the tach cable screws in. It holds that sleeve (#1 below) that the cable screws onto in the case. Just unscrew the cable and remove it. The threaded part that the cable screws onto (#4 below) should remain in the case as well.

Tach Drive.jpg

I assume the exhaust will need to be off to slide the cover off the kick-start? *thumb on the ks shaft!

Last edited:
I suppose that would depend on the exhaust. I just had that cover off without disturbing the exhaust. I have the MikesXS replacement headpipes. I had to remove the foot peg, brake pedal, and kick arm, and disconnect the tach cable.

On my 75 with what I believe to be original headers they obstruct the casing

*EDIT

I lied, it came off by a whisker!

Last edited:
Yes, I thought original head pipes would have clearance, on both sides. I have to drop the pipe on the left side to get that cover off.

It's very clean inside, I can't see any wear on the starter gear either. Still running the original starter spring, is it really possible to squeeze it tighter in situ? Looks tight to me

Back