Right side cover stuck on kick start shaft

79josh81

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The cover/gasket is loose, kick start lever removed, oil filter removed, all case bolts removed...am I missing something? It’s hung up on the kick start shaft. This is the first time I’ve ever tried to pull the right cover.

I think I found my false neutral/shifting issue too which is why I pulled the cover.
064D1C42-D707-4D0F-BFDD-652B7ED58D0E.jpeg

Why was it hung up...PO used the wrong sealant.. ?... I put my thumb on the kick start shaft... you do not want it to pop out..it's a pain in the kister to install... and work the cover off... don't forget the thin washer on the kick start shaft..sometimes it sticks to the inside of the cover...

Why was it hung up...PO used the wrong sealant.. ?... I put my thumb on the kick start shaft... you do not want it to pop out..it's a pain in the kister to install... and work the cover off... don't forget the thin washer on the kick start shaft..sometimes it sticks to the inside of the cover...

I don't know why in the hell it was hung up on the kick start shaft so bad. There was no sealant, just the stock gasket. I think there were a few spots on the gasket that was around the kicker shaft side that were still stuck even though it all looked loose. So maybe it wasn't the kicker shaft that it was hung up on and just a few small spots on the gasket. And that washer was found stuck to the inside of the cover like you said.

What sucks is I was unable to locate the small piece of the shift drum detent arm spring that broke off. I used a magnet and flashlight and searched every nook and cranny of the cover and the engine and was unable to locate it. I also checked the sump and oil filter and couldn't find it. I'm hoping the little spring end just came out when I drained the oil and pulled the sump.

The factory seals the gasket to the cover AND adds a small spot to the cases at the front and rear seam. Always a pain to remove and try to save the gasket...

The factory seals the gasket to the cover AND adds a small spot to the cases at the front and rear seam. Always a pain to remove and try to save the gasket...

Yeah I think that's what it was. There's only a few small spots of the gasket that got stuck to the cases so I'm guessing that's where they put the sealant. It tore out some of the gasket in those spots but not enough to completely leave any bare spots on the cover’s edges so I should be good. I'm just going to put a dab of sealant (keyword..."a dab") in those couple spots vs changing out the whole gasket.

Last edited:
Back