right side dead on, left side needs help

nickmo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have the right cylinder dialed in just right. The left side is running a little weaker though. it seemed to be running really rich so I tried to take the fuel screw in some, and when I did I almost had to seat the screw to get it decent. the right side fires just right every time, the left acts somewhat intermittent, or weak, but it did improve when took the screw in.

This is what I've done-

Set the valves to .003 intake .006 exhaust, set the points to .015, rebuilt the carbs, tested the charging system which was good, new plugs, and dialed in the timing.

I'm leaning toward a fuel problem, but maybe I'm wrong. The bike is a 79 with a points ignition. This is just about the last problem I'm facing, so I would appreciate any help.

I would do a careful check of your float level in that carb that's giving you problems. Little or no response to mix screw adjustments is a classic sign that the float level is off. Measure both sides of the float because it can be twisted on it's mount. It would look good from one side but the other being off throws the whole setting off.

I'll check them again. I thought I had it right the first time, but that makes sense. I'll let you know how it looks.

5Twins,

I pulled the carbs and the floats were set at 24mm from both sides without the gasket. The only thing that I noticed was that the the throttle arm assembly on the left side (arm, nut, spring, etc.) seemed a little wet. Not dripping or anything, but damp maybe. Could my rod seal on that side be bad? Would that cause this type of problem?

I left a video so you could hear the difference between the two cylinders. It's a little messy sound wise, but you should be able to tell the difference.

The only two things that I can think of are weak spark on that side, which I know how to check, or possibly a compression issue on that side (valves aren't seating properly?). When I first started this project I checked both sides and they both measured above 150psi, probably worth another check.

http://s468.photobucket.com/albums/rr49/icepik11/?action=view&current=VIDEO0006.mp4

Last edited:
Besides popping on decel is there a good way to tell? Is there something I should be looking for when I remove the exhaust on that side?

OK,

I left some pics of what I found when I took the exhaust off. The gasket was mated to the torque cone pretty well and it didn't appear to be lined up all wonky. There's a lot of carbon on the cone, that's about all I saw. See pics of gasket and cone.

I did notice a little smoke from that side though :eek:. Just a little bit while throttling up, it appeared to be a smidge of black followed by the same amount of white. It didn't do it at idle and didn't do it while the rpm's were up, only on initial throttle twist up.

Attachments

• IMAG0044.jpg
    IMAG0044.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG0045.jpg
    IMAG0045.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMAG0046.jpg
    IMAG0046.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 136
Back