Right side oil filter cover leak

xs650brat

XS650 Member
Reaction score
The right side oil filter cover on my ‘78 Special started leaking earlier today. A few questions:

1. Should I replace the filter cover gasket as a matter of course, or could I expect/hope for a quick re-torque of the two cover bolts to resolve this minor leak?
2. If removing the filter cover to just replace the gasket, does the oil need to be drained, or is this area between the cover and the filter “dry”?
3. If I have the filter cover off, Is there anything else worth doing at the same time? Filter cleaning or anything else?

Insights apprecisted 👍

Yep, replace the gasket every time you clean the filter.
Obviously the area behind the filter cover is not dry, there is oil in there, that's why there is a filter in there. But no, you don't have to drain the oil, the oil level is well below the side filter cover, however, any oil behind the cover will dribble down the clutch cover. Lean the bike to the left, either on the side stand or something else to prop,it up to minimise the amount of oil expelled.
Clean the filter while you have the cover off and inspect the surfaces of both cover and clutch cover mating surfaces for any debris/damage.

Honestly, that's a gasket I hardly ever replace. It lasts and lasts. I do install a new one when I first get the bike but after that, hardly ever. But, the key here is thoroughly cleaning all of the old gasket out of there, every last bit of it. Then the new one should seal up well and last for many years. And don't put any gasket sealer on it, I just soak it in motor oil for a few minutes before installing.

SleeveInstalled.jpg

Honestly, that's a gasket I hardly ever replace. It lasts and lasts. I do install a new one when I first get the bike but after that, hardly ever. But, the key here is thoroughly cleaning all of the old gasket out of there, every last bit of it. Then the new one should seal up well and last for many years. And don't put any gasket sealer on it, I just soak it in motor oil for a few minutes before installing.

View attachment 324534
@5twins I started shopping for the filter cover gasket and also came across a gasket for the base of the oil filter. Change that one too after having cleaned the filter?

View attachment 324534
What size (as in microns) screen are you using to cover that filter ?

Only thing from my experience I might add is that gasket can be a tough one to scrap as I imagine on some bikes it has been there for a few decades. Plus the fact that it is recessed in the cover which doesn't help.

Do it on a cold rainy day when you are not in a hurry to go for a ride and take your time scraping off the old gasket if its stuck. Don't want to scratch the surface on the side cover by getting in a hurry!

Yes, I change both of those gaskets when I first get the bike, after that, hardly ever. To clean the old gaskets out, I use plain old paint stripper. It softens them up and makes scraping them easy without doing any damage to the case.

Mikey, I'm not sure about the micron size. This is a paper sleeve I make up from a cut up oil filter .....

FilterSleeve.jpg

I cut the ends off the filter and pull the plastic tube out of it's center .....

FilterSleeve3.jpg

That leaves me with this ......

FilterSleeve4.jpg

The filter was joined together by butting the last "pleat" on each end together and gluing it .....

FilterSleeve5.jpg

I follow suit and use a hot glue gun to join my filter "sleeve" .....

FilterSleeve7.jpg

The "sleeve" needs to be about 5 1/2" long to fit around the filter. That works out to be 11 "pleats". Add one more on each end to glue together and you get 13 "pleats"......

FilterSleeve10.jpg

You can make about 18 "sleeves" from one oil filter so the cost is very low. So, does it work? I think it helps some. Here's one I pulled out and as you can see, it's collected quite a few metal "sparkles" (small metal chips) .....

FilterSleeveUsed.jpg

And I'm pretty sure I have an unused unwanted filter to try that on
Cool idea !!

So this morning I went to replace these two gaskets and on loosening the left of the two bolts on the filter cover plate the (female) thread stripped out (and won’t re-tighten). So much for this being an easy job.

Is my best option to heli coil the bolt hole? I’ve not done that before and appreciate all the advice I can get. Am I right in thinking this thread is M6x1.00?

So this morning I went to replace these two gaskets and on loosening the left of the two bolts on the filter cover plate the (female) thread stripped out (and won’t re-tighten). So much for this being an easy job.

Is my best option to heli coil the bolt hole? I’ve not done that before and appreciate all the advice I can get. Am I right in thinking this thread is M6x1.00?
Oh dear. At least you now know why the cover was leaking oil.

Only thing from my experience I might add is that gasket can be a tough one to scrap as I imagine on some bikes it has been there for a few decades. Plus the fact that it is recessed in the cover which doesn't help.

Do it on a cold rainy day when you are not in a hurry to go for a ride and take your time scraping off the old gasket if its stuck. Don't want to scratch the surface on the side cover by getting in a hurry!
The one top center
scraper blades.jpg

ground from an old hacksaw blade, helps get down in there for that gasket.

Back