Right Side pops and bike isn't running right.

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I feel like keep going from one issue to the next. I posted in another thread that I've been experiencing popping at idle and decelleration. I had an issue with my air box boot being cut but I solved that issue. There are no air leaks at all around the carbs. A generous dose of ether did the test. I then thought I had a carb out of tune so I pulled the left side spark boot and the bike immediately died. I put in a brand new plug and even grounded it to see if I was getting a spark from my new coils. I get spark so now I'm assuming I have a clogged jet. Is there any way to correct this without having to pull the carb? I pulled the plug from the bowl and sprayed carb cleaner up in there but obviously it didn't help. Any suggestions?

remove idle mixture screw and spray carb cleaner in there the odds aren't good but better what you tried so far, then over haul carbs sync em check fuel level in float bowls with a clear tube. make sure any vacuum petcocks aren't leaking or have bad diaphragms.

Are there any springs or small parts I need to watch for when I remove the mixture screw? I have brand new manual petcocks so those aren't an issue. I sure hope I don't have to overhaul a carb!

Don't squirt ether at your bike, use carb cleaner. Ether is explosively flammable. You really do not realize how lucky you are.

Both carbs You'll end up there sooner or later. yeah there's the jet and a spring.
Part 39 and 38

CARBURETOR_XS650_E006501F.png

Both main and pilot jet are mounted in your float bowl. If you just remove that, you can take the jets out and clean them. You can remove the float bowls, carbs still in place, using a stubby screwdriver.

Well this evening I was allowed to work on my carbs at the kitchen table as long as I protected the wood finish and I didn't make a mess. That being said, I took my time and thouroughly cleaned both carbs per the carb guide. I have them mounted on the bike but have yet to mount the tank and hook up the fuel lines. I plan on doing that after I get my boys to sleep.

One thing that pissed me off was discovering that I paid a guy a couple hundred bucks to get my bike running for me when I first acquired it and discovered this forum and he claimed that he put a whole new kit in them. The float bowl gaskets look old and I doubt all he did was half ass clean them. Knowing how easy it is to disassemble, clean thouroughly, and reassemble, I could have done this myself in one afternoon, not having to wait 3 weeks for someone else to do it. Oh well, lesson learned. I don't want to speak too soon though on my efforts tonight. I still have to start the bike and see if this solved the problem! :shrug:

I went a year trying to get my 75 running with popping and cracking cylinders. I kept thinking it was a carb problem because I could see a spark when I pulled a plug. Replaced my points system (which had new plugs, points, and coils) with a Pamco High Output Coil system and instantly had a smooth great running bike. Props Pamco! lol:thumbsup:

What is the average cost of converting to Pamco? Mine is a 78 and I've replaced the entire charging system, new coils, wires, and plugs, and I've now gone through the carbs. That's about all that's left besides breaking into the engine.

I did the same....wasted money on two new coils, wires, plugs, and points. Then sent $200 to MikesXS for the Pamco system (w/o advance) and have had no problem since. I'm still running the rest of the stock electrical.

I assume the kit I should get should include the advance rod, weights, etc. since mine is probably worn out. I see a kit from Mikes for $220 but I'd prefer to order from 650 Central. I don't see Pamco items on his website, only Boyer. Does anyone know if he carries Pamco?

All the early bikes run fine with points. You can use a Pamco but you can also learn to set points.

650central can get anything from mikesxs. They are dealers AFAIK.

Being that I'm cash strapped as it is, I'd love to keep my points and save up for the Pamco later. I still have yet to start the bike which I intend on doing so this evening. I borrowed a timing light from my father so I can accurately set the timing. I can definately see saving the frustration with the Pamco set up. I battled getting my timing set using the static method with my ohm meter. Just when I would get things set, I'd double check and my marks would be off again. I like the idea of set it and forget it but at $220, right now I have a dozen other things I could spend the cash on. Although, once I get one, there isn't much else I need to replace other than an engine overhaul.

Back