Right signals won't work. New switch.

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I replaced my left side switches and also put in a new automotive flasher. Everything worked perfectly fine until now. I replaced my handlebars and now my right side will not light or flash. The bulbs checked out fine. All I did was open up the swlitch and lay it aside to replace the bars. What could I have done? It appears all the solder points are fine. I'm at a loss here.:banghead:

Fuses are fine and I don't see where a wire is pinched. Now the left side is constantly on, and right side does nothing. I wonder if my flasher is fried??

When you changed the handlebars you may have lost a ground connection. If you are using the self cancelling device, you need a ground connection at the turn switch.

Turn lights on solid and not flashing may be due to low battery voltage. They won't flash on less than 12 volts.

12.26 volts at the battery with the bike shut off. I flipped them on again to check. Right side, nothing, left side blinked twice then stayed solid. I heard a strong buzz sound coming from the flasher. I bet it's shot. I'll go by the auto store tomorrow and get another replacement and see what happens.

Don't try testing turn signals with the engine off. There's not enough voltage to make the flasher work. With the engine idling and 13 to 13.5 volts volts available, the lights should flash.

On the right side, recheck those bulbs and look carefully at the bulb sockets. The sockets must have a good ground or they won't work. Also check that the bulbs are 27Watt, 1156 type. Lower wattage bulbs will not flash.

Well, after several hours and going through the entire system, I found the problem. The blue wire to the right side signals had come disconnected. This came after removing the tank, replacing the flasher, testing continuity, etc. I noticed this when I was removing the entire wiring harness for the left hand switches. Argh! At least now I know where to begin if this happens again!

Thanks for your patience and understanding guys!

Blue wire? On the diagrams I have there is no blue wire. A dark green, a brown/white, a chocolate, a red/yellow and black. The black may just be the ground at the housing.
Leo

Could be chocolate. It was dark in that bucket. I'm perplexed again. I got everything working fine and dandy late last night. Put the bike back together, tested one more time before retiring for the night, got up this morning and took her down the street and here I go again. No blink, just a buzzing sound coming from the flasher. I must have a ground issue somewhere.

cmyoch;

The turn signals won't work on these bikes if the charging system is not putting out proper voltage. Start your engine, wait a few minutes for the battery to recover, and then measure the battery voltage with rpm at 1200.

Measure the voltage again with the engine at 3000 rpm.
Tell us what the 2 readings are.

Idle voltage was around 12.5 when I first started it. Throttling over 3k took it up over 14.5. I assume my charging system is functioning properly.

Last night before retiring for the night, I had everything working properly. I'm perplexed what changed after sitting over night. I wondered if I pinched a wire when putting the tank back on but that would have meant that they wouldn't have worked right away.

I'll check the headlight bucket again. I wonder if turning the handlebars completely when pulling the bike out of the garage this morning pulled something loose or may have caused a ground somewhere.

Idle voltage was around 12.5 when I first started it. Throttling over 3k took it up over 14.5. I assume my charging system is functioning properly.

Last night before retiring for the night, I had everything working properly. I'm perplexed what changed after sitting over night. I wondered if I pinched a wire when putting the tank back on but that would have meant that they wouldn't have worked right away.

I'll check the headlight bucket again. I wonder if turning the handlebars completely when pulling the bike out of the garage this morning pulled something loose or may have caused a ground somewhere.
yes those snap in's get stretched from plugging and unplugging squeeze it down a little when you plug it back in

I'm putting my boys to bed for the night then plan on messing around with it. I discovered today that my throttle cable was adjusted too tight after putting on the new bars. After an hour of trying to re sync my carbs and at a total loss, I just happened to push against where the throttle is connected to the carb ( I don't know the correct term) and noticed that it would not release all the way. After a quick cable adjustment and messing with my homemade manometer, I was able to enjoy a 40 mile ride before the rain came (using hand signals of course).

I'll post my findings later tonight after tinkering around a while.

Well, I traced each and every wire, no issues. The fuse was fine, I replaced the flasher and viola, it worked! It's too late for me to fire it up to test while running due to the rain plus I don't want to wake the neighbors. I'll test it tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!

Posted via Mobile

Back