Rim Savers?

Superior77

'77xs650
Reaction score
Will someone please explain 'Milk Carton Rim Savers' before I mar up my rims any more. Are today's milk cartons to thin for this or how do you really make them?

To make, cut up a plastic milk jug. Not the paper cartons. To use, put in between the rim and tire where you use the tire levers. If you think they are too thin, use a heavier jug, like an motor oil jug.
Leo

I use the solid cardboard inserts that come in your new tire to help it keep it's shape in transit. I've never tried the milk carton thing but I think you're right about them being too thin.

Yes, way to thin. I marred it right away. I'm going to search the garage for heavier plastic. Do I need to wrap rim with them like the ones on MIke's or can they just be flat pieces? I don't want to mar them up any more. While we are at it, what do I do to improve the marred spot that I created. My rims have not been polished or any thing yet. Not really at the detail stage on these '77's. Make them road worthy first is my plan.

You can file and sand the mark out. I usually have to do this to all the old alloy rims I renovate. The edges are pretty chewed up from ham fisted P.O. tire changes.

Back