Ring of carbon at the top of the cylinders

Your could maybe try dumping some Marvel Mystery Oil into the spark plug holes. If I'm totally off, someone please say so.

I read that the ring if carbon at the top of the cylinder is not an issue because the piston ring does not travel at this point.

Someone has an opinion about that?

Carbon will build up above the line of the top ring. You have the head off, I'm guessing, so there shouldn't be any problem removing a little carbon. If you pull the jugs you can soak them in water, it dissolves carbon overnight, turning it into a wipe off mush. I haven't had to use a ridge reamer on a bike cylinder but I suppose they have one small enough. There are engine builders that post here, somebody will pipe in.

If it's apart, removal will be easy. Paint stripper will melt it right away, good for the piston tops and combustion chambers too. If it's still together, I wouldn't mess with it. It doesn't really hurt anything being there. Like you said, the top ring never travels up that far. That carbon ring wouldn't be there in the first place if it did.

Back