Riveting the Cam Chain

bkmarsha

Brad
Reaction score
I am working on a top end rebuild and have already split the cam chain.(i know i shouldnt have but to late know)

Is there any way to rivet the new chain with out the $44 tool from mikes

A clip link would be nice but dont know if they are available

Thanks for help guys

- you can buy new joining links, no problem, from the usual outlets...use a hammer and punch to spread the end...get a mate to hold a block to punch against and absorb the shock

Spring clips are never used for camchains.

If you have a dremal tool, grind an "X" into the end of the pins you plan to spread. That helps to spread the end into quarters.

I've seen pictures where the lower sump plate is removed, and the camchain is pulled out of the bottom of the engine . That gives you lots of chain to work with. Then as inxs said, rest the link on a block of steel and spread the ends with a chisel. Camshaft is later installed under the chain and bearings put on last.

Another way is to use a nut splitter, but it has to be a large nut splitter. It has to be large enough to fit over the radius of the chain laying on the camshft gear. I've used this method with the chain joining done on the gear, but I suppose it could also be done with the chain pulled out the bottom of th engine.

I avoided separating my cam chain by splitting the cases, grinding the cam tensioner dowel rod, and pulling the crank out. It's no help to you, I know, but maybe someone else.

NewChainMod.jpg

Back