Roberts at Peoria

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
Roberts-at-Peoria.jpg

From Silodrome

We've all seen this picture before. Kenny Roberts at 1973 Grand Nationals jumping the XS650 tracker.

Now, I'm a kid compare to you old timers, so I need an education.

Why the hell were they jumping 400lb flat trackers? Was this a TT Steeplechase? How many jumps were there? Was this a vintage version of supermoto? Are there events that I can compete in that are similar today?

Update: I found some info from a post on ThumperTalk:

OLD TIME BIKERPosted 28 October 2009 - 02:57 PM #3

Ok...here's a short history of how TT racing became part of the Class "C" rules that modern dirt track racing is based on.
The term TT was "borrowed" from the Isle of Man TT that stands for Tourist Trophy. It was taken and used because of photos of the IOM bikes "jumping" at various points around the track... American style (dirt) TT racing was first run in 1929 by the Crotona Motorcycle Club. They didn't have an oval to hold a flat track and they wanted to run a race that everyone could participate in, so they laid out a course in an open field that used the lay of the land and incorporated production bikes making left and right turns and hills & jumps that naturally occured (sounds like MX but the sports evolved much differently) In the early days they included water hazards, but as the sport progressed they were prohibited by the rules. After the market crash and the start of the depression it became a very popular way for a club to hold a race. Instead of renting a track they could lay out a TT in a members bean field ( the Peoria TT is a modern extension of that type of event). Also it lent itself to the new emerging Class "C" rules that mandated moving away from the special one off Class "A" bikes to production bikes. As the rules were developed the clubs who laid out TT tracks had to lay them out as smooth tracks compared to an MX or rough scrambles or "European scrambles" course.

After World War 2, the growth of the racing industry and the boom in local midget, sprint & stock car dirt tracks had TT courses laid out inside those tracks and they could be utilized as not only auto tracks, but for both flat track & TT motorcycle races as well. Two examples of those type tracks would be Ascot in the LA area and Santa Fe Speedway in suburban Chicago. Sadly, both are now gone, but they held TT races throughout their racing seasons from the 50's into the 90's, as did many other tracks around the country.
The AMA sanctioned 2 types of TT racing, pro & amateur (AKA sportsman) If the race was promoted as a TT Steeplechase, it was a pro race, if it was promoted as a TT Scrambles, it was an amateur race.

The term Moto TT was used in Europe at one time to describe Supermoto when it was in it's infancy. I would say the use of that term here is actually a misuse in an attempt to connect the sport to MX. It may also denote that Knobby tires will be allowed to be used , but a true Class "C" TT would not allow knobby tires...flat track tires only.
There's more to this, but I've given you the highlights.

Go watch both events, you'll get the idea.

That's actually 1976 and up until the early seventies the displacement was open to 900 cc's. So guys like Markel, Lawwill, and Brelsford were jumping Sportsters like that! Why? Because they had huge BALLS!!!

I was there when that shot was taken back in the mid 70's. The Peoria TT is my favorite track but I am kind of partial to it since I grew up a few miles away from it.

I dont know what year this pic was taken but it features my favorite, The late Gary Nixon riding a Triumph. I would guess late 60,s judging by the riding gear and bikes.

FT2G.jpg

If you havent been to Peoria I would suggest checking it out sometime. Lots of history , You are bound to run into some old timer that raced there back in the 40's.

It's been many years since I've been to the TT. Kinda miss it. Chris Carr was just becoming The Prince of Peoria around the last time I was there.

Back