Rod qusetion .........

Member267

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pulled my motor, trying to stop some nagging oil leaks. Base gasket was leaking like it wasn't there. Anyway, while the cylinders were off, I was checking the pistons and was gonna replace the rings, since this thing has a whole bunch of miles on it. The right hand piston is showing quite a bit of excess play at the wrist pin. I looked thru my books and can't find a spec for the wrist pin, sure it's there, I just am too lame to find it.

How much, if any, play should there be in the wrist pin ?. I always figured that if you can rock the piston on the rod, something needs attention .......... :confused:

Maybe I'm being too picky here, I just dont want to replace the gaskets and seals only to have the pistons do things I didn't especially want. A friend says I am kinda bending the " if it aint broke etc " rules .

Opinions

John

don't know the specs but both sides should be the same, if one is a lot "looser" that needs looking into.
Easy and free to pull the wrist pin and see what things look like.

No "spec", but this: (factory manual)

J. Piston pin
1.Apply a light film of oil to pin. install in
connecting rod small end. Check for play.
There should be no noticeable vertical
play. If play exists, check connecting rod
small end for wear. Replace pin and connecting
rod as required.
2. The piston pin should have no noticeable
free play in piston. If the piston pin is
loose, replace the pin and/or the piston.

The right hand piston is showing quite a bit of excess play at the wrist pin.
A friend says I am kinda bending the " if it aint broke etc " rules .

John

Sounds broke to me, Real broke when the pin lets go is very ugly and embarassing. But it is easy to diagnose the problem when the rod is sticking out of the block.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke is when there's no play but you have some new pins around so you put them in anyway. The phone rings, so you don't double check the clip. It's downhill from there and at the bottom you remind yourself once again to "don't fix it if it aint broken."

you're looking for the same amount of clearance as the piston pin fit which typically runs around .0005 - .001. you do not want the piston rocking on the small end.

Back