Routing the fuel line

cpotts454

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
How's everyone running their fuel lines? I'm having one hell of a time getting the line ran without kinks. I've got a vacumm petcock but I use it as a manual petcock with vm carbs and uni pod filters. I've been running a single line to a fuel filter into a T and then to both carbs. I try to push the first line behind the the air filter and everything else between the carbs. Its killing me.

Also.. I've had two of milkes fuel filters leak at the seams. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on replacements?

Thanks! Pictures would be very helpful since its hard to put pictures into words.

I come off of a manual petcock, down the outside of the left carb with a filter attached. Then up between the carbs into the 'T' that if pointing down. Should be able to see from the pic. I like to see the fuel flow into the filter when I turn it on. Also lets you know when you're out of gas. HA!
seat004.jpg

Last edited:
sintered bronze. Not only do you know your out of gas when the filter is dry, but there will soon be a very quiet , windy sound as you slow to a stop.
I think many of us use just the paper filters in the clear plastic. Found mine in the lawn mower section.

I don't have a picture of the routing but I use the see though 90°
filters.650central has them but I got them from a local shop.

90degreefilter%20crop.jpg

I have dual petcocks into a brass t-connect, but I also had issues getting clean lines
on both sides to the petcocks.

One side is nice and straight, the other loops around. The petcock fitments that
came with the tank from mikes have a few options, but on one side you can't get
the 90 degree fitting tight and pointing inwards on the bike because of the way
the threads are, even by doubling up the plastic bushings.

I'm still not happy with it... but at least they are both tight and no fuel leaks.

My inline filter is comes after the t-connect before it hits the carb, inline plastic
clear type.

The lawn mower section at the local hardware store will definately provide you with some compact filters if you are having an issue with fitment. I have used many of these but I am not so sure on how well they flow. Given you are using much more fuel than the average 3.5hp Briggs. . . . . Just a thought that occured to me when I was having some fuel issues one day, seemed to run fine without the filters in place.

my mikes xs fuel filter only lasted about three weeks before gave out at the mid seam. Also the fuel line barbs at each end of the fuel filter were deformed-like the gas started to melt the plastic.
Why does getting ripped off for a $2 fuel filter bother me?
DT

DT

Because it was leaking gas onto a hot motor?

I got a Prime Line brand from O'Reilly's, has lasted 5k mi. / 1 yr. Replaced when turned brown. Was so clogged I couldn't blow through it. Structurally fine still though, and the way I had it mounted shook it hard all the time.

Noticed it was made in Taiwan rather than say China.

here's how I ran mine, one on each side, dual petcocks standard tank, don't give a damn how it looks, function over form takes presidence in this case

Attachments

• S6300297.JPG
    S6300297.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,048
my mikes xs fuel filter only lasted about three weeks before gave out at the mid seam. Also the fuel line barbs at each end of the fuel filter were deformed-like the gas started to melt the plastic.
DT

Probably written in fine print somewhere NOT TO BE USED WITH ETHENOL FUELS :laugh:

Yes, with my VM's (and different tank) I run around in circles to make ends meet!

Quick question, I have in line fuel filters that look just like the ones PUMPS pictured above, except they are 0* (straight through). They are not labeled in any way as far as flow direction goes. Does it matter which way the fuel flows?

Attachments

• 90degreefilter%20crop.jpg
    90degreefilter%20crop.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 3291041B.jpg
    3291041B.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
It seems the direction does not matter. Although, the one in that pic seems it may be made of cork? The ones I have are not, they are of tiny brass beads. Perhaps they are just not flowing enough fuel? Not home right now, but will try without filters to verify later.

On a filter like the one in your pic has a sinter bronze element. The fuel flows in on the side out the top.
If you can see through the filter the fuel should flow in on the outside off the filter element, through the element, out the other fitting.
If the fuel flows to the inside of the element you can't see how dirty it will get.

Original lines had protection springs which also helped stop them from kinking. I don't think it's a good idea to feed the fuel line up from the bottom. These fuel systems are gravity fed so when the tank gets low on gas, the bike may become fuel starved. Just worked on a kid's bike that was set up like that and that's what happened. I recommended he change it to a top feed, he did, and the bike runs much better now.

Guys:
thanks thats what figured, just wanted to verify. I recently had other issues that I thought I had resolved. was runnin great for about 2 days. decided to change the fuel filters because the ones I had (the squared ones from MikesXS) started to leak after about a year. Seems like the fuel kinda melted or atleast softened the plastic barbs. anyway, changed the fuel filters and now I can't get her runnin again. but fuel is definately flowing through them. I just adjusted cam chain, set points and timing, reset valve clearances, cleaned up kill switch. My last issue is in thread:
"What does it mean???"

I'm just so damn Frustrated! :banghead:

Back