Runs absolutely perfect then wont start

sickofitall

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Twice it's left me with no spark. Pma, cap, kickstart. I ride it here, I ride it over there, then back to here, then I go there and no spark. I truck it home. Takes a few days to get back to it. I put a spark tool on it that's inline from the plug to the head and still nothing. Put a battery in place of the cap and boom, starts right up. Runs between 13.5 and 14.5 solid. Battery takes a charge. Put the cap back on (new or old) boom starts right up. Checked all my wiring. No shorts. Idles nice. Runs great while I ride it and I mean perfect. Then all of a sudden it just won't start. No switch for head or tail. When it fires lights are bright right from the kick. When it won't fire headlight is dim almost nothing. I figure it's the cap or my coils but I figure if it's my coils they wouldn't stay dead for days. Or at least until I put a battery to them. And now that I wrote it out I'm thinking coils because the cap probably just doesn't have enough juice off the pma to charge them but a nice hot battery does.
I asked Hugh about it yesterday but I figure a few more opinions couldn't hurt. I have read every post on caps and ignition coils so please don't tell me to search.

The one problem that stands out is the headlight, it's commonly supposed to be off when starting with a cap then switched on once it's running....

I hear that. I've been riding this bike 2 years with no problems. I recently upgraded to a higher wattage lamp. So I have about a month with the new lamp and it wasn't a problem till about 2 weeks ago.

Possibly a loose connection in the PMA giving intermittent charging of battery, some of the Chinese ones have this problem.

I hear that. I've been riding this bike 2 years with no problems. I recently upgraded to a higher wattage lamp. So I have about a month with the new lamp and it wasn't a problem till about 2 weeks ago.

Adding a switch and seeing what happens would be pretty easy to do.

I don't think so. It'll push a constant charge to the battery for 10 min after I get it to fire off the battery. Steady 13.5-14.5 no problem. Here's my mental issue - I ride it and it runs perfect. No breakup, idles great, power all over. I can start it and stop it a few times then all of a sudden nothing. Coils will sometimes refire after they cool. This thing sat for 2 days before I tried to kick it again. At that point I got nothing. Then I hook up a 750cca battery in place of the cap and it fires first kick no choke. I remove the battery put the cap back in line and it fires. Over and over. I let it idle for 20 minutes (with a fan on it) lightly revving revving it and holding the throttle a lil here and there. Shut it down and it fires right back up.

I do have a switch and will try that but this thing has been tits, no problems for a long time now. Even after the new lamp install. Started evertime. 2 kicks to the cap and 1 to start.

Last edited:
I don't think so. It'll push a constant charge to the battery for 10 min after I get it to fire off the battery. Steady 13.5-14.5 no problem. Here's my mental issue - I ride it and it runs perfect. No breakup, idles great, power all over. I can start it and stop it a few times then all of a sudden nothing. Coils will sometimes refire after they cool. This thing sat for 2 days before I tried to kick it again. At that point I got nothing. Then I hook up a 750cca battery in place of the cap and it fires first kick no choke. I remove the battery put the cap back in line and it fires. Over and over. I let it idle for 20 minutes (with a fan on it) lightly revving revving it and holding the throttle a lil here and there. Shut it down and it fires right back up.

I want to think it's the cap as well. My thing is it won't spark for days till I eliminate the cap and go to battery. Then I'm right back to normal. I've even tried to start it with the headlight disconnected before I hook it to the battery. It's a sparks cap which I know is a low volt cap. I have a spare that I installed yesterday but didn't get a chance to take it out for a ride.

I want to think it's the cap as well. My thing is it won't spark for days till I eliminate the cap and go to battery. Then I'm right back to normal. I've even tried to start it with the headlight disconnected before I hook it to the battery. It's a sparks cap which I know is a low volt cap. I have a spare that I installed yesterday but didn't get a chance to take it out for a ride.

Since you have two, try running them in unison and see what happens.

Duh.... I should have thought of that.
I really appreciate the input brother.
That'll be my next step.
I can't eliminate a coil problem yet though other than maybe a big battery has enough juice to clear up a coil problem then it doesnt rear it's head until it gets warm.
It's hard for me to believe they would fire so well until I turn it off and then have nothing for days until a battery is used. Then back to normal. That's what I can't get my head around.

Let us know what happens, been a lot of these problems lately. Got me thinking I'll be making the switch to this or adding this in with a cap...
59efc755b277dd8acaeeed618b666f0a.jpg

A higher wattage headlight would draw more current and heat up the wires more.
If the problem started when you changed the headlight, perhaps you have a short somewhere due to melted wire insulation.

Just a thought

Last edited:
It sounds like the headlight is drawing too much current for your charging system. Have you tried changing the headlight back to the stock wattage?

Last edited:
I went from 35 watts to 55 watts and it's bright. I checked all my wiring but I'll check it again. I can almost bet when I get home tonight it will start off the cap. Once it fails it won't start even with the lamp disconnected.

Watts is Volts x Amps.

A 35 watt lamp draws 2.91 amps. The new 55 watt lamp draws 4.58 amps.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the XS650 alternator only puts out 3.5 amps.

It's just a hunch but it sounds almost like your capacitor isn't fully charging due to the headlamp load.

Back