Rusted Cylinder Frozen

Tim Meaders

Not just another Old man on a Harley!
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have an 81 special thats sat since 86. After 5 weeks of soaking the cylinder with MMO I've decided I need to pull it apart. Since the motors locked I can't get too the link that separates the timing chain. If anyone has a suggestion or solution I'm interested in hearing it. Thanks from a newbe.

No need to separate the timing chain. Loosen the chain completely at the adjuster on the rear and slide the bearings off the end of the camshaft. Remove the camshaft and let the chain fall.

I did notice the slack once I removed the adjuster and I tried that but there didn't seem to be enough clearance to slide them over the outside lip. I'll try again, thand for the reply.

There may be a slight corrosion on the ends of the camshaft. Clearance is very small. Get some Scotch brand Scotch-brite and put some oil on it and scrub the ends of the camshaft. Wipe clean and then see. The bearings should just slide off the ends.

Last edited:
He may not get that you are saying slide the double sets of ball bearings off the camshaft ends so the cam drops down lower in the cylinder head.

Thank for the tip on Evapo-Rust, I'll start looking for someone who carry's it. I've given MMO enought time that if it was going to work it should be done by now.

I was able to remove the bearings cam and tied the chain off so it wouldn't drop.

The motor has 3900 miles that were put on it between 81 to 86 and other than this stuck piston issue looks clean.

Thx to both of you for your help.

sometimes I use a small wood dowel and gently tap the bearings off the end of the cam shaft... try and keep the bearings in order as you remove them... zip tie the pair with a note.. right side..inner and outer... Once bearings off the shaft... you can work the cam off.. have a length of coat hanger handy.. hook the chain and use it to hold the chain... a larger piece of wood could be used to gently tap the pistons down after you allow the chemicals to do their magic....
this usually works.. but I did have one rusty engine that required a air hammer to get the pistons off the jugs... which was ok.. I just wanted the cylinders. Good luck.. :)

I found it easy to get the cam out without splitting the chain, but putting it back on took a little trick.

With the cam back in correct position with both sets of bearings removed use both hands to stretch the chain both forward and back in the 3 an 9 oclock positions relative to the cam sprocket. This will allow the sprocket to drop a little further as the chain slips on at the 3 and 9 oclock position. Then run your hands up to the 12 oclock position to get the chain fully in place. Then check everything is aligned correctly before putting the bearings back on.

Note: If you try to pull the chain straight up and on to the top of the sprocket it will not go because the chain is jamming the sprocket at the 3 an 9 oclock positions.

I am not sure if there is a video to demonstrate this procedure but it would be worth its weight in gold - pictures paint a 1000 words.

Thanks for the heads up on the evaporust. Im trying to free up a 380gt trippple. You can get evaporust at most home improvement centers. I get mine at harbor fraight.
Solo, how did the evaporust not slip thru the rings?

Back