salvaged another rusty tank

tonyc

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Today I salvaged another rusty 1977 Standard fuel tank. First I poured a couple of lbs 1/4 20 nuts into the tank and rattle them around to remove some rust. I then blew air into the tank while wearing my safety goggles. I made aluminum blanks with rubber backing for the petcock holes. Then I bought 4 gallons of white vinegar to fill the tank. I used a 1.5 inch plug from plumbing supplies for the gas cap. I let the vinegar work one side per week. In two weeks I have a very clean tank. Flush your tank with a mixture of gas and oil. Easy and cheap $8.49 for vinegar plus tax. I had the plug and aluminum. I will try to get pictures later.

well if you like fixing tanks ill have one you might want in a couple weeks. you're pretty close too. i just bought a new one from mikes and the one i have leaks a little. not super rusty and no dents...

Ha. Ok. I just meant to have. I don't need it. And at it would at least get used. EBay it is then. Haha...

Posted via Mobile

To seal the gas cap hole when I have the flip style cap, I just cut a round piece of rubber from an old inner tube and close the cap on it. For tanks with bung type petcock mounts, I use a rubber table leg "foot" from the hardware store held on with a hose clamp. I make a plate like you did for flat petcock mounts.

Weep, I have an undented 71 tank but the whole left front is swiss cheese. about 25 rust holes.

Thanks for the tips 5twins. My cap was soaking in vinegar also so I made a trip to Orchard Supply and bought a 1.5 inch expansion plug with a twist top. I have used these when I chrome my BSA tanks.(only I use 2 inch) Tony C.

Back