saw a seat suspension any thoughts

nwhitehorne

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey i saw a seat suspension for a hardtail any thoughts.
kind of the look but not the ride. seems shady but may save the kidneys.

there are many kinds. different springs, shock absorbers. leaf springs.
Some one here baught the shock absorber kind, and was way too stiff. Replaced the springs with chevy v8 valve springs, and like it alot more.

the one i saw was a rear end spring from a mountain bike. it was small and you could adjust the tension. it seemed really cool.

Yes they do look cool, but realize the leverage from the rear of that bicycle, and then realize there is no levarage using it on a motorcycle seat. It WILL be way to stiff, But, I agree, they do look cool.

Here is what I did. Havent ridden it yet but, I bounced on it and made vroom vroom noises. I think it will work

Attachments

• 2012-12-23_22-38-36_61.jpg
    2012-12-23_22-38-36_61.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 169
I'm sure the air ride is probably the most comfy. That or a leaf spring setup. The air ride is adjustable. More air, more ridged. Visited TCBros and they had it on one of their bikes. Personally I don't like the look. If mine is too rough, Ill eat more cookies:bike:

Man Jdizon. That looks way too complicated for my simple ride. I bet you can ride some distance with that setup though. Checked your thread. Very cool ride man. What did you end up doing with that vintage light?

Man Jdizon. That looks way too complicated for my simple ride. I bet you can ride some distance with that setup though. Checked your thread. Very cool ride man. What did you end up doing with that vintage light?

Haha yeah looks crazy complicated :laugh: Thanks man! Still got the light.. Not sure what to do with it yet.

If you decide on letting it go, let me know. Have a Unity spotlight that I was going to strip the chrome off of to expose the brass but, fuck that. Way too much work

Sorry nwhitehorn. Didnt mean to hijack. If you go with the shock setup I have a pair a 6" ones that didnt really fit me. Cheap

no worries
i am still deciding between the leaf spring and a shock. the leaf looks way cooler but looks tougher to get right.

I started out wanting a leaf setup. Heard from a couple of welders it wasnt a good idea to weld those. Some, it seams, have done it right and swear by the comfort. My frustration led me to the shock setup. Hope it was the right idea. Good luck and keep updating

I think I paid around 35 - 40 bucks with shipping off Ebay. Their exactly like the ones in the pic but 6". Collecting dust so $20 shipped. Just make sure thats what you want and don't do what I did on almost everything on this build and buy several things and decide a different way.:doh:

Back