Scrambler build

Scrambled

Motorcycle Man
Reaction score
Hello all you XS riders and builders ! I am just starting to build what I hope will be a reliable and functional ( fun ) ride. I am starting with a '78 standard that runs ok, but, like all 35 year old bikes , it needs some improvements . I want to keep the stock look while improving performance , so I am starting by beefing up the clutch. I think the previous owner messed up the clutch by using Castrol 10W-40 in it , and now I think I messed it up worse by trying to adjust it , so now it needs rebuilt anyway. Next after that will be installing the Pamco ignition that came with the bike ( the guy bought it but never put it on) . Then I plan on making some performance improvements, probably just replace the mufflers with less restrictive shorty ones, or 2:1 if I can afford it ( the mufflers he put on are blocking the rear axle ) cleaning and re- jetting the carbs , might as well put on K&N type filters ( I should be able to remove the tin air boxes I hope). Then, I want to beef up the suspension ( this is what will make it a "scrambler " or at least I can travell down the odd cow path with it ) . I want to keep the stock forks and I hope I can make them stiff enough . The rear shocks are the easy part, just putting on longer/stronger shocks. Other than that, I need to lose the dual disc and put on a lighter /stronger single up front , a bigger sprocket ( I want at least 60 teeth on the rear ) and some street/trail type tires. Any advice will be welcome .

60 teeth on the rear? Wow, don't want to go over 60 mph, huh?
On the pod type air filter, the long round K&N type work better than the short tapered ones. I like the Uni-Filters.
Running a 10w40 oil won't hurt the clutch unless it ha energy saving additives in it, most 10w40 oil's don't have them. Adjusting a clutch won't hurt it either, just not let it work well.
Do a bit of research on front end mods. I did the Minton Mods on mine with stronger springs and it works well.
I responed to another thread on your clutch.
On the brakes, just remove one caliper and rotor and get an 11 mm M/C with a one piece stainless steel braided line.
On the mufflers even the stock mfflers block the axle on the standards, the Specials not so much.
Leo

Last edited:
60 teeth on the rear? Wow, don't want to go over 60 mph, huh?
On the pod type air filter, the long round K&N type work better than the short tapered ones. I like the Uni-Filters.
Running a 10w40 oil won't hurt the clutch unless it ha energy saving additives in it, most 10w40 oil's don't have them. Adjusting a clutch won't hurt it either, just not let it work well.
Do a bit of research on front end mods. I did the Minton Mods on mine with stronger springs and it works well.
I responed to another thread on your clutch.
On the brakes, just remove one caliper and rotor and get an 11 mm M/C with a one piece stainless steel braided line.
On the mufflers even the stock mfflers block the axle on the standards, the Specials not so much.
Leo
Nope , I don't need to go fast but I do like to do third gear clutch wheelies once in a while .Thanks for the help , I love this site !

Back