Seafoam anybody use it?

gumby

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 1981 motor to swap out with mine(no compression in the left side), it has good compression but I noticed the valves are caked pretty bad in carbon. I can only assume the pistons are just as bad. Has anybody used seafoam to do a quick cleaning? and if so how well did it work?

When I bought my 81 it had sat for several years. It smokes when you let off the throttle. I ran a few tanks of seafoam before i tore it down and I didnt notice a big differents. I know alot of people who swear by it though.

I prefer Marvel Mystery Oil for cleaning up a running top end. Lots of folks do seafoam, but most agree it takes a big dose of it to get quick results. I'd be more apt to try Techron, if I was going to do something else, but once again, on a running motor.

I swear by Seafoam for its fuel & carb cleaning. While a good carb clean does wonders this stuff cleans the the unreachable passages and corners super clean. I don't know about the other things, but I swear by it, not at it.

It's kerosene and hydrogen peroxide mostly. The kerosene's a pretty good solvent and I believe the hydrogen peroxide helps to get moisture out/make steam. I've followed the instructions and got good results, adding it to a tank doesn't seem to accomplish much. Drawing it slowly into a hot engine, letting it soak and burning it out with a hard pull works well.

Every time I get a piece of used equipment from a neighbor (Because it doesn’t run anymore) I SeaFoam the thing first, then Seafoam it while it’s running and I’ve had some great results. I do all my vehicles once a year while they are running and hot. Also use it as a fuel stabilizer in the winter. Never had an issue.

I always use seafoam. When I first got my bike I ran seafoam through it, and every once in a while after. Fast forward about a year and a half,I checked my carbs for the hell of it, and they were spotless...been using it regularly since.

My bike was losing power and mis-firing around 5000-6000 RPMS. Added a full can of Seafoam to 3/4 of a tank of gas and the problem was pretty much gone after 15 miles of highway riding. $11 well spent.

Back