Sealed battery or Capacitor?

drewbaby88

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The more I research this, the more confused I get.:confused: What would you guys go with and why? I am gonna be running signals, headlight and tail light. I do have the Pamco and PM alternator also, but I dont know which is gonna be better for me. I appreciate the input guys!

drewbaby88,

I will be running the same on my tracker, the capacitor is what I'll be using.
I'm will also be running a PM set-up (Hughs handbuilt kit) a Pamco & kick start only.

I used to have an XR400R - they run a capacitor system & it worked briliantly.

Cheers.

I don't know about in your state, but here in New York you need a battery. The head and tail light have to able to stay lit without the bike running. Might want to check your states requirements.

It is actually a federal requirement that the tail light must be able to stay on for at least 15 minutes with the engine not running. No cop is ever going to pull you over and hold you there for 15 minutes to see if your light stays on. The only time it will be an issue is if you live in an area that has vehicle inspections. Even then, you could simply hook up a battery for the inspection.

I personally prefer running without a battery. It makes for a simpler and more reliable system. With no battery, there is no need for an ignition switch. Just hook everything directly to the rectifier output. I am running headlight, tail light and turn signals. The only thing that won't work so well is the horn. But again, that is only a problem if you have to go through inspections.

Delaware requires that you have 2 - 4sq inch pieces of reflective tape on your DOT approved helmet too. But most cops don't know this. When we go through inspection you start the bike then test all the lights, signals, ect.

Back