searching for a tail rack

DRW2013

77 XS650
Reaction score
I'm restoring a 1977 XS650. Looking for a clean accessory tail rack - not large, just enough for a small tail bag when traveling. Would also like a small back rest as a seperate piece. Haven't found anything online -- some universal fit stuff but nothing that looks right. Any ideas?

few and far between on those, I bent and welded one up out of electrical conduit to fit my old TXA, got any electrician buddies that owe you a favor?

I like some of the stuff made for bicycle touring. A lot cheaper than the motorcycle specific stuff and really well engineered. roy

Attachments

• Oct 2011 Bikes 033.jpg
    Oct 2011 Bikes 033.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 159
  • Oct 2011 Bikes 034.jpg
    Oct 2011 Bikes 034.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 186
  • Oct 2011 Bikes 035.jpg
    Oct 2011 Bikes 035.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 187
I'll give 5Twins credit for this. He has an old Krauser luggage frame and rack on his XS650 which inspired me. Here, below the white bike.

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/bags/krauser/index.htm

I found an NOS Olympic luggage frame and rack which was a copy of the Krauser. It is cast aluminum and both elegant and light weight. I have the suitcase style luggage that goes with the system but I would like to make some enormous camping boxes to hold a sh!+ load of gear. I also have an Olympic expandable top bag which is easy on/easy off. Write a note to Scott at www.classiccycleparts@sbcglobal.net and he should be able to help with the frame rack and top bag. You might want to ask for a install bracket kit also. I made my own brackets but it would have been better with the kit even if I only used a few parts. I also installed a tension bracket from the fender mount to the frame. It is an easy addition and makes the mounting much stronger.

Tom Graham
Columbus, Ohio

Back