Seeking your advice on TX 650 Value please

JayR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'd welcome your thoughts on the value of this TX 650 I came across.

Is this bike worth the asking price of $3,200 do you think? The price is negotiable.

8,379 original miles. Engine sounds excellent. It was repainted for some reason unfortunately, but it seems that the bike is almost 100% original so he said? Garaged in Florida, think it is a 1 owner bike as well.

full

full

full

full

full

A very nice bike.
Is it worth it, not to me. I like to work on them.
That one looks to not need any work.
Leo

Hi XSLeo, yeah that's part of the appeal in a way. I'm in the middle of my 1982 Special build with plenty to work on (I was picking up parts when I ran into the TX). Would be nice to have a runner, but with riding season ending may as well stick to getting the 82 done for spring.

What year is that?

The steering damper strikes me as odd. My '74 TX650A didn't have one, but maybe the '73s did?

But no, I wouldn't give that much for it.

Hi DownEaster the shop had a sign on it as a 1973 for $3,200 obo. They were basically selling it on consignment.

But get this, I called him back and offered $2,500.

He called the owner and said he now wants $5,800!! Nuts.

I was relieved - got out of that one cheap :)

It quick look over says it's all correct 73 except the paint. It even has the the tank with emblems which not many have anymore, a probable reason for the paint, those 73 tanks leaked at the rear seam. It think your 2500 offer would have been a good one. But many of the old bikes are going overseas where 5800 would be reasonable.

It looks like maybe just the tank was repainted, and I think the seat cover has been replaced.
A quite decent 73

Last edited:
Hi gggGary. That's interesting about the tank seam. The visual on the inside of gas tank showed that rust colored haze which would be typical of a tank that old sitting with a half tank of gas for so long.

Yeah i didn't realize until after that those emblems are the same color as the gold painted background that should be there. I think I read that the blue flake repaint is the stock color for 73.

UPDATE: the guy at the shop said he may ask the owner to take the bike away - I don't care, hope he gets whatever he can get. But the shop put his price o.b.o on it and then he reneged by asking more, so they were understandably unhappy about that. Quote "let me get back to you early next week. He's in Iowa then Arizona, he might regain his senses when back to sea level (Florida) and we ask him to take it home from our shop in Connecticut." lol.

Last edited:
I wondered what the shop thought about his counter offer to what is probably the only firm offer they have had. At first blush it seems the point isn't a sale but free storage.

the shop probably made the counter offer, and the owner has no idea.
good point on storage, though.

Back