SEIZED?!? really... damn now what

lawrgj

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, I know a thirty year non runner ran a high likelihood of being seized... however, I can turn the kick start with clutch, but the alternator is not rotating to be able to set tdc....

did it turn over before? or did you just get it, and it wont turn? if you just got it, put a few tablespoons of oil in the plug holes, and try again tomorow, and these kickers you have to have the clutch lever out, to turn the engine over, or your just spinning the clutch, at least your clutch seems unsiezed!

This is the first bike i have ever had that i didnt pill the clutch on. I am such a mope... No it at this point seems to not have turned in thirty years. So even if it hreaks loose... Totall ripdown?

-break- i meant... What a bummer... I know this seems petty compared to what you guys have all done. But i really wanted to know it fired before i stripped down, but just bummed

Don't be bummed! Like Angus says put some oil, light oil, release agent down the plug holes and leave for a day, repeat for a couple of days. In the past I've put the whole lump in a chest freezer over night then straight into a hot room / sunshine just to get some expansion and contraction if it's being particularly stubborn. Then try kicking over with the clutch out or trying to turn it with the crank bolt on the alternator. If it frees straight away and there are no nasty noises, drain the oil and try running it. If it takes quite a while, it may be worth opting the head to check bores, valves etc

Marvel Mystery oil, in a metal can, metal funnel in the plug hole. Heat the oil til it boils, then put about 1/2 cup in each cylinder and let that work overnight. Got a Benelli twin loose like that. The local "euro bike" emporium told the lady it was a wall hanger, and would never turn over again. She rode it away after the 3rd day.

No No No use nothing but PB Blaster. LOL. get it rolling at a fast walk in neutral and dump it into 2nd gear. Do this while sitting on it, a couple of buddies pushing is very handy. Repeat a couple of times. Freed a stuck Honda CB350 that way last month. Don't put much torque on the alternator nut. I also have 3 XS650 engines that are STILL stuck. left sitting on their side without carbs. Head off maul and block to free those.

isnt cola basically sugar? so if the cola free's it, I have to tear her apart anyway right? not to big of a deal i suppose, I have heard these engines are ok to work on. So... what parts should I be pre ordering

Does the PB stand for Poor Bastard, Probably Broke, Pedal Backward, Poop for Brains, Pound Bitches, Please Break, or Peanut Butter?

Peanut Butter Blaster is probably something you can get at Dairy Queen!

Thanks for the kind words 750... The only reason i am ok with diving in to this is because of the knowledge in this forum, so if you have a better solution than using pb blaster then i would appreciate it. And yes i thought i would try to avoid the cola... So off to find some mystery oil... Then maybe the jump start route although i dont think its wise to possibly break anything.

To all the 'old timers' that have used cola for some miracle cure... it's the phosphoric acid in the cola that acheived the result you got. Not the water, the sugar, the coloring, the flavoring, or the fizz.

I ain't sayin' nothin'... I'm just sayin'...

Dont knock the Coca-Cola trick, Ive seen it used on many occasions for all types of "freeing up/breaking loose" fixes. On engine internals and externals. As long as you thoroughly clean after, its not bad. A 2-liter of Coke is $.99, a 16 oz. bottle of Marvel is $3.99. just sayin' is all...

Back