What year is this engine. Was told it was 79 but he wasn’t sure

Kruger24v

XS650 Member
Reaction score
As the title said. Looking for the year of this engine. Also need the little clutch assembly that attaches inside the alternator cover and where to find that. As far as I know I need carburetors to make it run, points/condenser, intake, and regulator. If anyone has any used ones they are willing to part with lmk and depending on price I’ll buy them. Any help and information will be greatly appreciated trying not to completely break the bank here

Attachments

• IMG_2274.jpeg
    IMG_2274.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2275.jpeg
    IMG_2275.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2276.jpeg
    IMG_2276.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 40
If that is all -- there are more parts missing
Perhaps exhaust of some sort is needed.
And clutch pushrod ( oil will leave in that hole ) Battery ( Points wont start without ) gear shifter oil filter Alternator Brushes Nut for the alternator

As the title said. Looking for the year of this engine. Also need the little clutch assembly that attaches inside the alternator cover and where to find that. As far as I know I need carburetors to make it run, points/condenser, intake, and regulator. If anyone has any used ones they are willing to part with lmk and depending on price I’ll buy them. Any help and information will be greatly appreciated trying not to completely break the bank here
Downeaster is right, that's a '79, according to the serial number, and the lack of a TCI pickup on the stator. Take off the cover on the left side above the spark plug. Your points should be under that, and could well be perfectly functional. The carbs you need (if you want the stock '79 carbs) are BS38s, and I probably have an extra set around, but they are in a storage unit and will need a rebuild. I'll try to get to the storage unit this week and see what I have, if you care to wait a bit. I can get them to you for $125, figuring $100 for the carbs and $25 shipping. Let me know if that works for you.

You also need the right oil filter cover, the filter that goes under it, and the pressure relief unit that holds the filter in place. Jan_P also mentions more missing parts as well. Also, coil and plug wires?

Last edited:
I have a complete exhaust system from a '79 I don't need, but they are a real bother to ship.
But I suppose I could cut off the mufflers with a saw and ship the headers. They are quite rusty, but I suppose adequate for your purpose of tractor racing. Just paint them flat black or wrap with heat tape.
You could put a set of shortie Harley mufflers on them. There's loads of them around for cheap.
$20.00 for the headers.

That clutch lever mechanism mounts to the inside of the left engine cover. You might want to verify you have compression and everything operates freely. it would be good to verify whether or not you need to go into that engine.

I have a complete exhaust system from a '79 I don't need, but they are a real bother to ship.
But I suppose I could cut off the mufflers with a saw and ship the headers. They are quite rusty, but I suppose adequate for your purpose of tractor racing. Just paint them flat black or wrap with heat tape.
You could put a set of shortie Harley mufflers on them. There's loads of them around for cheap.
$20.00 for the headers.

I don’t need an exhaust I have that already fortunately

If that is all -- there are more parts missing
Perhaps exhaust of some sort is needed.
And clutch pushrod ( oil will leave in that hole ) Battery ( Points wont start without ) gear shifter oil filter Alternator Brushes Nut for the alternator
I have a pushrod

Downeaster is right, that's a '79, according to the serial number, and the lack of a TCI pickup on the stator. Take off the cover on the left side above the spark plug. Your points should be under that, and could well be perfectly functional. The carbs you need (if you want the stock '79 carbs) are BS38s, and I probably have an extra set around, but they are in a storage unit and will need a rebuild. I'll try to get to the storage unit this week and see what I have, if you care to wait a bit. I can get them to you for $125, figuring $100 for the carbs and $25 shipping. Let me know if that works for you.

You also need the right oil filter cover, the filter that goes under it, and the pressure relief unit that holds the filter in place. Jan_P also mentions more missing parts as well. Also, coil and plug wires?
I would definitely be interested in those. I have the oil filter cover. I do need coil and plug wires.

Back