Seized Rear Axle Bolt

If you get desperate enough you might consider welding a big bar on the axle head so you can apply a bunch of twist also. or grind a pair of flats in it for a big adjustable wrench.

My :twocents: is you are at a very time consuming point. Like gggGary said the bearing spacer is frozen/rust welded to the axle.
To get to it for oiling you have to expose it. Whichever penetrate you use it has to get to the spacer to do any good.
Spraying from the outside is a waste of resources.
When you got the nut off if the swing arm didn't spread enough to get a hacksaw blade in I would spread enough to do so.
Cut the head side off first between the chain adjuster and the spacer.
With some luck (ok a huge amount of good luck) you can angle the wheel down enough to get the spacer out on the right side.
Then you can cut more of the axle length off to get the wheel out of the swing arm.
Remove the brake plate and lay the wheel hub on some wood.
Now you can drive the axle out with plenty of room. Most likely you are going to dive the bearing out, but you will then have the spacer exposed where heat and penetrating oil can work.

Probably a good time to note; the 70-73 axles are shorter than later axles axle adjusters are thinner. Gotta confirm this; but spacers are different etc etc.

Well kind of, I believe the complete arm w spacers, adjusters, axle, pivot parts , chain guard, etc will swap in. BUT the LH shock mount is further out on the later swing arms (there were shock - chain clearance problems on early bikes) and they are longer (2" comes to mind.) so fender clearance and how to get the top of the shock out wider would be issues.

Hey guys, I need a recap on this as to where it's up to, is the swing arm still in the bike?
If so and you have it on its side all packed up, nice hunk of 4"x4" under the axle bolt either side. Then belted with BFH, no movement?
Sprayed it with your penetration oil......bang with BFH??
So is this where your up to...?
I'am going to look for a drawing, but my move from here would be heat, and lots of it, are there spacers each side like my 75? If so, and they are corroded onto the axle, heat them (each side) not the axle, BFH, belt the crap out of the axle, let them cool, turn over, pack with timber, heat spacers, BFH, belt the crap out of it...do this a couple of times, as soon as it starts to move, invert and belt the other way until free.
Anyway I had better look for a drawing, so that I'am not talking out my ass....post a pic that would help, gggGary & Weekendrider are pretty good, you might need some Aussie muscle to crack the bitch....

Well after hours of effort I through in the towel and got serious. Wheel is off and I am in the market for a new axle.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 136
That is a lot cleaner than I thought it would look. I thought it would look more like the first link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-72-YAMAHA...ash=item3361253872:g:xtIAAOSwkNZUi1gM&vxp=mtr

This may be your ticket. 256-25381-00 correct part number, NOS, free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-NOS-...m483a9e565d:m:m4yxDWS7OCh_70df4Pksu-A&vxp=mtr

This is for a TX 750 so the model number is different but the part number the same. I believe it will work. Thanks for the correction 5twins.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-New-Yamaha-TX650-TX750-XS650-Rear-Wheel-Axle-341-25381-00-/351311966966?hash=item51cbd332f6:g:jWQAAOSw-W5U0Ttu&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
The TX750 axle is a match for the later longer 650 axle.

It was frozen to the right side drum brake. By the time I got it moving a little bit the threaded wide was so banged / mushroomed that it wouldn't go through the sleeve. Does MikesXS sell axles for this year?

I sure did. I want to see if I can find the axle and nut all as one unit. I have a bit of time to look. Thanks for searching :). Also happy to buy one from a member of the price is right :)

This is my first motorcycle restore so a lot of this is new to me. You all have been amazing and patient with my question.... Thank you!

Back