Shakey bars and forks

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey all,
On my first few rides on my hardtailed 79 2F and I feel like the handlebars feel a bit loose somehow. Is that normal? It's almost like I haven't tightened everything, but I'm pretty sure I have (very sure actually). I just upgraded my bearings to tapered rollers, maybe I didn't set the races right or something? Could it be the stock handlebar bushings?

Your races will take several tightenings to seat all the way. Limit the distance you travel unitl they stop loosening when you ride. Also, tapered bearings need to be tightened quite snug. Crank them down good, and then ride. If it wants to wobble, which is what you have now, they are too loose. If you get them too tight, you will feel like you have to constantly make adjustments. This next part is imortant: If you changed your steering geometry with a rake job, raked trees, long forks, big wheel, re-laced wheel, or anything like that, ignore this last part until you double check that. If all that has not been messed with, and you have a new, balanced, properly inflated tire on the front, you should be able to take your hands off the bars at speed, and the bike just tracks straight ahead on it's own when it's right.

If the bars feel like they are attached to the forks with a sponge, then you might be looking at the simple culprit right there. :laugh:

Check steering bearings, wheel bearings, and all the usual things after a new build that need attention - then if you hold the forks against the stops, see how "flexxy" the rubber bar mounts are, if you don't like that much slop and flex we make a set of Solid Riser Bushings just for that problem on the XS650.

Hugh

100_5893.jpg

Double check your tapered bearings, they almost always will "seat" after a few rides and need re-adjustment. Also double check your rear wheel alignment. If the rear wheel isn't centered in the chassis, you can get some funky feelin in the handlebars for sure. Also make sure your tires are in good shape. Broken belts will cause some funky ridin too. If you can feel "waves" in the tire treads, you'll want some new rubber... :thumbsup:

Great. Thanks guys. No take job for me, all stock, so I'll tighten the races and see if that helps :). Hugh: I would get your aluminum jobs there (I'm a big fan of your work and am running your PMA) but I have so much vibration in my handlebars as is, I'm concerned that your aluminum mounts will increase that. Do you find that to be the case (or does anyone running them find an increase in Vibes in the handlebars)?

Btw, I only have one of those lock down nuts on the top of my steering stem (it's a 79 2F). I've seen pics where people have 2. Should I have 2?

Yes, you need two. The bottom one sets the tightness of the bearings and the upper locks it in place. Without the upper lock nut there is nothing to keep it from loosening up. That's got to be your problem.

Yeah, looking at the fiche now, should have two, only have 1 lol. Ha ha ha. I'm such a dunce. Well, problem solved (or at least part solved). Thanks guys.

Dave

Back