Shallow Pod or tiny stack? Need Help

I'm kinda curious on how they turned out.. Pictures??

Great, just remember to allow enough space b/t the foam and air jets around the outside of the intake bell so the carb gets proper respiration:thumbsup:

I had to cut several pieces of wire mesh material until I got the proper fit, so long as the rubber fittings are soft you can remove
them as often as you need. I don't have any pics at the moment but will update soon.

pretty freakin slick dude !!!

I am going to go same direction - cept I am going to use a 3 inch piece of 2.125 pipe to extend out a bit....then powder it chrome alum look......

but awesome simple man :thumbsup:

I started looking for easy solution for mesh....but wanted a diff look. Thought of honeycomb mesh...........then found that from computer modification supplier - they call it modder mesh .... insert nerd emoticon here..........

so little looking and I found another option for a simple easy cheap mesh....

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/local-modders-mesh-alternative.63027/

Anyway - I am building a 650 right now. This morning I was supremely bent because I f'd up a tiny bit on my measurements and my airfilters were fouling my recently made sweet custom oil ' electrical' tank. Seriously I was in the worst mood. I started trolling google for options...spent 3 hours on KN website trying to find a solution....an hour in Lordco.......Then thought of velocity stacks....was not happy about 100+ bones for decents ones though.

Can across this thread...the wheels started turning. I am back in the ball game.

Thumbs up again !!!

:thumbsup:

bandit78,
"small" and "effective" are mutually exclusive terms when it comes to air filters.
Just look at flat track racers (i.e HD XR 750), their air filters are anything but small.....

I know that some sports bikes until the mid 70s and many cafe racers and customs used open velocity stacks. They surely look great, but then they also needed frequent rebores (or did not see much use....)

The particles causing the most wear in engines, are actually those that have the same size as the engine clearances, allowing them to enter the gaps between moving parts. So the mesh is not doing much to prevent wear, only preventing larger particles from causing sudden failures.

I would recommend that you put function before "style", "cool" or whatever it is perceived as. The end result is often more stylish, if form follows function. This may be more demanding to acheive, though.........In your case, an alloy "velocity stack" that went through the side cover, with a K&N or UNI filter inside the side cover would look sleek, and provide useful filtration.

Please don't be offended, but read the rest of the tread.. what you say is true and spot on, but that has been addressed..

Back