She runs again, but....

Yamaboy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, guys! I got her running again, but NOW she doesn't run as good as she used to. When accelerating, she will start to bogg...as if she doesn't get enough fuel...lower rpm she runs good.
I looked at the plugs, and the right one are soothed, while the left one has a brownish/tan color. Before she died on me, and before valve adjustments, both plugs were brownish/tan color.

Did I go wrong when adjusting valves? The plugs indicate the right cylinder running too rich....how do I adjust valves accordingly...right side exhaust or intake? Smaller or bigger gap?

OR

Does it have something to do with the points? I only adjusted the left side though, since the gap was too small. Never touched the right point. But the right point sparks (I don't know if it has always done it, since I never looked for it)...according to other post, a spark is" normal" or an indicator of the condenser going bad/bad.

I forgot to add that I can rev it hard without any stumbling...maybe useful info..I do not know

(sorry guys for starting another post, since this is really a continuation of my old post "My xs650 just died on me", but that post has become so long)

Last edited:
Try new correctly gaped spark plugs and mess with the mixture screw a bit on the bad side. Verify float as well, clean fuel filter. make sure the air barbs on the carb holder to the cylinder are plugged as well.

650carbspecsreducedsizeey7.png

Thanks for your input, JTfield! I am just done adjusting cam chain tensioner, valves and timing...in that order...voila...she is running strong again. Both spark plugs have similar burns...I actually believe the right cylinder spark plug being soothed was my own fault...last time I put the carbs back on I strongly believe that I didn't clamp it right on the carb holder and hence the angle of the carb was trown off

:thumbsup::bike:

Alright good to hear. When I rebuilt mine for the first time I had the carb holders upside down this causing a sever angle of the carbs, had all sorts of issues tuning. Then after several hours of looking at pictures and multiple beers came to the realization of my mistake. Good luck and ride safe.

Thanks, jtfield!
Although, I had already sorted out my bike by the time you responded...know this...your responses were still greatly appreciated. I also guarantee you that there will be future "lurkers" finding your feedback helpful...we had to learn about the carb holder the hard way...
Ride safe as well:thumbsup::bike:

Back