Shift linage problems - help

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
Got her running strong and installed a rear set shifter w/linkage. I'm finding it very difficult to change gears and even find neutral. I would think this type of gear change mechanism applies to the forward control crowd as well. What length should the arm on the sihfter be in relation to the arm length on the transmission shift rod.?

This is my set up
IMG_1790.jpg

I've since moved the shiter pivot point directly under the foot peg

Her's is one that works

file.jpg

Besides one being on the top and mine on the bottom - what have I done wrong?

Help I want to ride

:banghead:

What's the part at the back of the lever with the 2 allen screws, is that creating a problem somehow?
Is the rose joint clear and easily moving at the back?
Have you tried it without the rearsets?

Any chance I can see a picture of the linkage rod not connected? You have access to the other shift rod by chance? Try swapping them out and see if it makes a diff.

Only reason I ask is b/c the ones I have on my forward controls look like yours and they do have play.

The two allen bolts just hold the shift arm from rotating and not actuating the shift art. - no binding or any interference.

BigJimmy how can you achieve free play with a direct linkage seet up?

They feel like a joystick on a video game not a lot of free play, but a little. Also they rotate. And how short your movements are they could definitely make it difficult; if it is the same set up.

If I had my bike here at my house I'd pull mine off and show you what I mine, and ask you if it's the same, but it's not here. So that's why I was wondering if you could snap a photo of one of the ends.

That's the play I was talking about. That's why I suggested to try the other linkage rod and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't fix it then you can change the length of the shift arms. I figured this would be an easier fix to start with.

Thanks - I sold the original shift arm. Tomorrow I'm going to just put a wrench on the shift shaft arm at the transmission and see if it shifts normally with direct rotation. If it does then it has something to do with the pivot point location and the shift lever arm lenegth. If it sdesn't then it's a clutch or trans issue.

You notice in my photo and as I have modified its location that the shift pivot is now directly inder the peg as other rear sets have the shifter rotating at the peg.

On forwards is this also true or are the pivot point slighly above or below eachother?

I don't think it matters much, but on mine the shift arm is on the peg. but I do think it might help if the arms were 90 degrees from each other.

What I'm saying though is that it may not really have anything to do with the arms and more to do with the linkage ends. Maybe an eyelet end like on your old linkage might end the problem.

There was no linkage originally. The shift arm mounted directly on the shift shaft spline.

What are the length of the shift arms on your set up
1. at the shift shaft and
2. at the shift lever/foot peg?

I guess I need to play with it a bit more.

You posted 2 pics of 2 diff rearsets. On one it has eyelet linkage (working) and then there's the silver rearsets. I am talking about the eyelet linkage. Put that on there and see how it responds.

Nothing exact b/c my bike is up at a shop. I think at he shift shaft 2.5-3" and 1" +/- 1/8" on the shift lever connected to the linkage and prob 5" for the actual foot lever.

The first pic was one INXS sent me a while back for inspiration. Interesting the arm at the trans is longer than the arm at shift lever. Have to give that a try.

Thanks BigJimmy!

Ok lol you had me worried I was looking at the wrong pic the whole time. I really wish you had the linkage in the other pic to try it out and see if it resolves the issue.

Back