Shift Shaft pushed in??

itrguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey fellas I had my left side case off lastnight fitting a new worm for a foot clutch. Got it adjusted and buttoned up, and now my shifter will only up shift, and can hear a clicking on clutch side.... The clip is still on shift shaft, i pull shaft out away from clutch and You can't move it at all, push shaft in a mm or 2 and gear shifter only moves up???? So I take it the clutch cover needs to come off??

If you had the C-clip off the shifter shaft, and the shaft moved, you have likely caused a problem on the right end where the shifter claw lives. Yes, you would need to remove the right side engine cover, and have a look at how the shifter claw is engaging the shafting drum.

If the shaft moves in and out the shift pawl likely isn't engaging the star wheel properly all the time. I had a problem with too much movement when I put the bike back together and had to do a bit of shimming with a washer behind the clip to take the play out of the mechanism as well as line up the pawl so it engaged the star properly.

If you take the right side cover off (and possibly the clutch) you'll be able to see what is happening when you move the shifter and it should be a fairly simple fix if the slop is the cause of your problem.

Good luck.

I opened up the clutch case, and found the shift arm was on top rather than below the star. I found a heavy duty washer in the bottom of the case, I see where it goes I just don't know how was attached I found nothing else.........try to post pics

Here is the washer, and where it goes. How is it attached??

Attachments

• ss11.jpg
    ss11.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 130
  • ss22.jpg
    ss22.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 145
Back