Shifting all crazy.

nic81xs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
does anyone have any idea why my bike would shift good on the first ride of the day but then progressively get worse as it heats up threw out the day? the clutch also seems to get harder to pull as well. could my clutch cable be stretched? any advise would be cool.

thanks,
Nic

As the engine heats up the aluminum cases expand faster than the steel parts in the clutch. This makes the clutch reguire a cold and hot adjustment.
Once you get the engine warmed up good, adjust the clutch. Be sure the adjuster in the side cover is right.
Once you get it adjusted hot you might have to loosen the cable adjuster at the lever a bit. After a bit of adjusting you will find the sweet spot.
A well lubed cable and actuator worm help a lot.
Leo

These bikes have alloy cases and steel clutch actuator parts that expand (from heat) at different rates. Assuming that your clutch is adjusted optimally from cold (see Tech Section), you may have to adjust some more tension into the clutch cable at the handlebar as the bike warms to separate the plates a bit and reduce clutch drag, and then return to your cold adjustment when you put the bike up. Each bike varies, but it's just the way these clutches work.

(Oops... cross posting with Leo.)

TC

i'll try adjusting some more after it warms up. oil weight is correct. the bike only has 7000 miles on it. are shifter return springs a common problem?

I doubt the oil weight is a problem. I have used 15w40 as well as 20w50 and it shifts fine.
Shifter springs can and do break but effect it cold or hot.
Leo

Back